1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

nForce 2 Chipset

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stevie C, Apr 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stevie C

Stevie C Thread Starter

I've just finished my first ever attempt at building my own PC.
    Here's the spec:
    MSI K7N2G nForce 2 chipset based mobo
    Athlon 2000+ XP
    Drives all from my old PC

Here's the trouble:
    Having put it together first time I plugged it in the PC would come on, I could hear it reading the drives etc. and it sounded like it was booting up ok, but no display whatsoever(I'm using the onboard graphics)
    After some experimentation I set one of the jumpers to a 100Mhz front side bus(which the manual dubbed 'safe mode', 133 being default). I have no idea what that means or wether it hurts the performance.
    The big problem was once windows(98) booted up. It found new hardware device after new hardware device, failing to find drivers on the CD that had come with the board, and coming up with a host of unknown devices and standard this and standard that. My main priority right now being the display, because I can only run 16 colours in 640X480 right now.
    I looked thru the CD, went to directory nforce/vga/win 9x/ I think it was, tried to run set-up, and it told me it was only for windows ME/XP even though the folder said win 9x. I then tried to get windows to update the drivers, forced it to go to that directory, it told me they were the wrong drivers, I did it anyway, windows would then only boot in safe mode so I had to go back to the 'Standard PCI Device' driver.
    I'm at a loss of what I can do short of buying a copy of Windows XP. As long as the display is like it is I can't run any proper programs to see how the rest of the system's performing either.

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

First off, the lower FSB definately hurts performance. That being said, windows 98 does not support the USB 2.0 ports. These could be part of your hardware problem, please go into the bios and set the USB ports as v1.1 , set the FSB as 133 or 166, reboot into safe mode. run regedit. Delete the following Dword

HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum

This will force windows to redetect all hardware when you reboot.

Reboot, click cancel on any hardware it finds that it can't find drivers for. Once you get to the desktop,then load the driver disk that came with the motherboard. It should have a automatic setup program that will walk you through.

3. Stevie C

Stevie C Thread Starter

Well I changed the jumper back to 133Mhz
    Got the following on boot up:
    Display Switch Incorrect
    CMOS Checksum Error
    Override Enabled
    Since then anytime I restart it's grand though.

No such luck with windows though, I deleted those registry entries, which led to my modem also being deleted and windows refused to let me reinstall it and i ended up reinstalling the whole OS. Having done all that I'm still in exactly the same situation with no drivers for any of my new motherboard stuff.

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Sorry it didn't work. Did you change the USB 2.0 to USB 1.1?
    Check the disk to see if it has a autorun. Mine did, the drivers were compressed on the CD, so I had to use the autorun to get them into windows.

5. Stevie C

Stevie C Thread Starter

Yep I changed the USB too but no effect.
    Think this is just a software issue? Am I guaranteed to sort the problem by getting a clean hard drive and installing a new version of windows?
    I don't see what I could have done wrong with the hardware, the motherboard went in smoothly and everything was very self-explanatory, there's only two jumpers to worry about and they're both to do with the FSB stuff and I've got everything on default settings pretty much now, can't find anything in the BIOS that would make a difference

6. pronute

pronute

If possible change your OS choice to Win2k or XP if you do chose these OS's install the service packs first then the MB drivers.

7. Ian291

Ian291

If MSi is any thing like the Asus Nforce board I've got, then the only way to be rid of these problems is to do a clean install of Windows. When I tried to do an overlay of the drivers without a reinstall, my device manager had so many conflicts and yellow !'s, that the machine would only work for a very limited time.
    Since the clean install ( apart from one minor problem with a non USB scanner) not a problem in sight and the system is very stable.

8. Stevie C

Stevie C Thread Starter

Tried a clean install, still no luck.
    Gonna wait till I get Win2k on Monday
    Another question though, my system is reporting a CPU temperature of 53 degrees Celsius, is this normal because I've been searching the net and can't find figures anywhere but overclocking websites talking about cooling tend to be much cooler. I'm also just using very basic windows stuff for the moment till I get my drivers sorted, once I'm running more intensive programs can I expect the temperature to increase greatly?

9. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

It's a little on the high end, but low enough not to cause problems. Keep and eye on it when it gets stressed.
    60C is the yellow area, 70C is the RED!

If you plan on pushing it a lot, you may want to change heat-sinks for a SKL-800 or 900 or a volcano 9 or 11.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I recently picked up the EPOX 8RDA MB based on the nForce-2 chipset, and I was able to migrate my W2K installation from the old VIA based board to the new one with minimal issues. It took a few reboots and deleting things from Device Manager to sort it out, but it's been happy for several weeks. It was a bargain deal with the AMD XP-1700 & the MB for $112, not a bad deal. :)

11. Stevie C

Stevie C Thread Starter

Thanks for the help people, a clean install of windows combined with newer drivers from nVidia's website did the trick.
    Still a few things need ironing out though - sound seems to be a problem. Standard sound effects seem to be ok, as do music CDs, however when I run mp3s in winamp they play in a very jumpy way, you get a couple of seconds of music then it might jump forward 15 seconds into the song and play another little piece of the music and so on. Same goes for background music in some games and stuff too.

12. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Maybe a simple matter of getting a good defrag after all the installing.

13. Stevie C

Stevie C Thread Starter

Hmm don't think it's the Hard Disk cos I just tested it with a DVD movie and it did the exact same thing.
    I'm probably totally wrong but I get the impression it's something like some setting that's survived from my previous set-up that makes it still think it's a slower processor, and it's processing the encoding faster than the screen/speakers can actually output the video and sound causing it to just keep skipping forward.
    Probably completely wrong but I'm gonna have to leave it to defrag overnight more than likely so I may as well look at other possibilities in the meantime.

14. Stevie C

Stevie C Thread Starter

More info:
    I went into DirectX diagnostics tool, and went to test music.
    Could choose from the following 6 ports:
    nVidia Kernel Synthesiser(default)
    nVidia nForce Audio
    MIDI mapper
    Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synt
    nVidia DLS Synthesiser
    Microsoft Synthesiser
    When doing the tests, the first five worked perfect, but the last one(Microsoft Synthesiser) kept skipping in exactly the same way as winamp and movies have been.
    Now I've just gone into Winamp, looked at the prefs, found that DirectSound was enabled and set to nVidia nForce audio(which worked in tests but doesn't seem to here), and the only other option I could select was 'Primary Audio Driver', and switching to that made no difference.
    I then turned off directsound, and suddenly Winamp was playing music perfectly. I'm not happy though cos there's obviously something wrong if I have to turn off direct sound to get it to work, plus this still doesn't solve my DVD and Games problems but at least I'm 1 step closer.

15. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Try installing directx again. maybe the first time didn't take for some reason. You could also try taking the sound card stuff out of device manager then rebooting and reloading the drivers.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/130469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice