1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NFS suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by subnet_rx, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. subnet_rx

subnet_rx Thread Starter

I'm looking for a simple network file storage suggestions. I have a 5 computer network that needs to all be able to access certain files at different times.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How performance intensive are the applications? Are you trying to run multi-user applications that will be sharing a single file or database?

3. subnet_rx

subnet_rx Thread Starter

No performance intensive at all. For instance, one of the applications is a group calendar file.

4. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

Then... can't - theoretically - a USB hard drive be shared?

5. subnet_rx

subnet_rx Thread Starter

yes, but this is in a work environment and two or more computers may need to access it at the same time. My initial thought was something like this, but wanted to get other advice/suggestions on solutions.

6. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

Either I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, or you misunderstand me. I was suggesting you share the USB drive via network.
    Wouldn't that work?

7. subnet_rx

subnet_rx Thread Starter

Yes, but one or all of the computers might be turned off. What would I connect the USB to? I'm was considering setting up an entire server with maybe Windows Server 2003 installed, but that would seem like overkill just to have some files that I can access from all computers.

8. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

Good point. I haven't got any other feasible ideas... sorry.

9. JohnWill

The only issue will be the shared files, if multiple folks are access them at the same time, you need a server that's smart enough to handle file and record locking. That's why I asked about the specific application.

10. winbob

winbob

John, have you ever experienced IBM's VSAM file system and its Share Options ?? :eek:

11. subnet_rx

subnet_rx Thread Starter

I doubt file-locking will be needed since all the computers are in the same room. They are turned on and off according to their specific tasks.

12. winbob

winbob

Are you saying that at no time does any two users access the same files? :confused:

13. carrotstix

carrotstix

Since all you need is simple file sharing, would something like this work?

Network Attatched Storage device (NAS)

It is independant of the PC's and only costs about $80, plus the cost of the IDE drive of your choice. You can also get this particular one with a drive already installed. Both NewEgg.com and Buy.com cary some of this line.

You can do a search for NAS on this forum and find other choices that might work for your application.

Hope this helps,
    Dave

14. JohnWill

You should be aware that this box being recommended is not traditional NAS storage, but rather NDAS connected. The box does not use TCP/IP to communicate, and you must install the NDAS driver and map a drive letter to the disk to use it.

The latest drivers finally do allow multiple read/write access to the NDAS disk, older drivers restricted write access to a single station.

I have a couple of these, and they have advantages and disadvantages. They're pretty fast as cheap network storage goes, but as I mentioned, they need non-standard drivers.

You could consider something like the Buffalo TeraStation which is a true NAS and has the ability to connect an external drive for automated backups of the NAS drives.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice