1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NIC Failure after new Power Supply, Graphics Card Install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by [email protected]omcast., Dec 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nroiter@comcast.

[email protected] Thread Starter

After my graphics card died, I installed a new nVidea GeForce 8800GT, and a 470 Watt Dell-compatible power supoply to replace the 350 Watt factory-installed Power supply to support it on my Dell Dimension 8400.

WHen I boot, the embedded Broadcom NetExtreme 57xx network adapter fails to initialize. The message is:
    "
    Alert! Error initializing PCI Express NIC bridge.
    NIC failure"

I followed the Dell support recommendation to refresh the power state without any success. I have checked the Power supply connections and all seems right. The light coming off the network cable is orange. I'm connecting to hte INternet via a wireless adapter, but clearly that's not a solution.

In addiiton, a possible related problem comes when I attemtp to upgrade to Vista. In the first restart during the install, I get a blinking cursor in the upper left corner of the screne after the Dell splash screen, apparently aborting the install. I've reverted to early OS (XP) at boot.

APpreciate any ideas.

Neil

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/664690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice