1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NIC - Onboard Processor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dinker2k, Jan 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dinker2k

Dinker2k Thread Starter

How do you find out whether your NIC has an onboard processor? Is there a test I can do?

Thanks in advance.
    Dinker

2. winbob

winbob

Dinker,

I don't think that you are stating the question the way you mean to (I hope).

Do you mean, how do you tell if your MOBO has an onboard (integrated) NIC?

If that is NOT what you mean, and you do mean as originally stated, what are you looking for this NIC to do in the way of processing??? :confused:

3. Dinker2k

Dinker2k Thread Starter

4. Arcadion

Arcadion

I had a couple of old ISA Intel network cards that had 286 processors onboard, if that's the kind of thing you're talking about. It's highly unlikely that your NIC does, unless you paid a few hundred dollars for it. The most common Realtek NICs/onboard chips are very basic and are only intended to get the job done, they aren't very efficient.

5. winbob

winbob

Dinker,

Well that's a new one on me. But in answer to your original question, the specs of your particular card should provide you with information on an onboard processor OR lack thereof.

6. Majixlt

Majixlt

test?, no. I look at the back of the Tower. if the Lan connection is right next to the mouse and serial ports and not down where the modem and video cards go, chances are it is intagrated. If you look in the case, anything that comes directly Off the mobo to the case,,is intagrated..the pci,Apg slots are for internal cards.
    Hope this help ya.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/319961