NIC problem.....?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

n4syth

Have a Compaq Presario X1000 with RealTek RTL8139 C + Fast Ethernet NIC.
Running Windows XP SP2.
Attempting connection to 'work' network via cable connection -- wireless connects OK.
Network detected, attempts to acquire network address..... packets sent..... 0 packets received.
Able to Ping 127.0.0.1
NOT able to Ping Gateway.
Tested Winsock.... Passed.
No problems in Device Manager.

What should I try next???
:confused:

TerryNet

Terry
"attempts to acquire network address"

Does it succeed?

"NOT able to Ping Gateway"

OK, guess it must have acquired a network address if it got a gateway. The one time that I got a good IP configuration from my router but was unable to ping the router it was because of a bad cable. So check your cable and connections.

n4syth

No... Doesn't succeed in acquiring address ---- sends packets out but NOTHING back......
I know the gateway address because I have other computers on the network.
Cable tests GOOD.

???????

TerryNet

Terry
Many wired work networks use static IP addresses. Yours definitely uses Dhcp?

Could still be a cable problem. Have you tried the laptop with another ethernet connection, or another computer at the problem connection?

n4syth

Definitely DHCP.... but tried static as well with no success.... still no packets received.
As for the ethernet connection at that location.... Works great with other computers...

TerryNet

Terry
OK, like you indicated in the first place, likely a NIC problem. :)

A couple "no thought" things to try: Look for a driver update for the NIC; uninstall the NIC, restart computer, and reinstall.

In Device Manager right click on your NIC and choose Properties.
On the Advanced tab, if there is a 'Link Speed and Duplex" property, make sure it is reasonable (Auto Detect would be good; make sure it is not a different speed than your network). Check any other properties there for reasonableness. On the General Tab, you could try the "Troubleshoot ...."; every once in a blue moon this uncovers something.

Go into Network Connections - right click the ethernet connection - Properties.
Compare/contrast the contents of the General and Authentication tabs with a computer that connects OK.

This pretty much exhausts my troubleshooting ideas, so if you still have problems I hope somebody else can chime in with more.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online