NIC Problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

serenus

I installed 256 mb of memory and a NIC card in a 2 year old HP, 600mhz, Celeron processor PC. It loaded upon installing the network card, after installing the software and restarting it hung at the win98 screen. I rebooted, it continued to hang. I then took out the NIC card, it loaded normally. I put the card back in, it loaded slow, but it worked. I checked the IRQ's (I had disabled the modem) and the NIC was sharing with three others. I then restarted and it hung again. Could this be an IRQ issue or software?

Thanks! :)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Hard to say, one easy thing to try is move the NIC to another slot and see if it helps.

I'd try johnwills suggestion first but if that doesn't work there are a host of possibilities including things such as setting a permanet IP address, protocals, etc., but I'd downoad the latest drivers from the NIC manufacturer as the next probable.

I've cured many a NIC problem with updated drivers.

PS: Welcome to the board. I hope we can help.

serenus

Thanks for your help :)

I tried another slot and had some errors on boot up. I then took out the modem and put the NIC in its place. The computer booted, so it'll be a wait and see as soon as the cable is hooked up.

It's not unusual for a NIC and modem to dislike each other. Are you on the machine that's the problem, meaning you don't need the modem, or will you eventually need the modem?

serenus

No, it's not my machine. I had asked and he doesn't think he'll need it anymore, so I told him to keep it aside as a 'just incase'. :)

In that case he'll want to go into system / device manager and remove the modem entirely so that the drivers aren't going to interfere from here on out. If it had it's own disk with software during installation he should use add/remove to uninstall that too.

It's never a good idea to remove a modem, NIC, vid card, etc., without uninstalling it too. Leaves too many possible conflicts.

Good luck.

serenus

Thanks, I'll do that. I had already disabled it in the device manager before removing, but neglected to uninstall the software.

I appreciate all your help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts