1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NIC wont detect ethernet cable?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by matteroll, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matteroll

matteroll Thread Starter

Hey guys, I am having a problem with my Realtek RTL8168D/8111D PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC. It is not detecting my ethernet cable, and thus leaving me without internet on my desktop, after i updated its driver. The cable is not the problem as I have tested the cable with my laptop. I tried rolling back drivers, doing system restore and removing drivers with driversweeper and letting windows install the drivers again. However, none of these worked for me. I doubt the NIC is faulty as it was working before i updated the drivers. Anymore things I can try? Oh yea, I'm using windows 7 home premium 64-bit.

Thanks in advance .

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

You are getting "Media disconnected" or "cable unplugged," right? Usually means defective cable or NIC.

Do you realize that gigabit ethernet uses all eight wires while 10/100 Mbps ethernet uses only four? Does your laptop have gigabit?

3. matteroll

matteroll Thread Starter

yes my laptop does have gigabit ehternet.

4. matteroll

matteroll Thread Starter

fixed it by changing the duplex to 100mbps. Got another question though. Why does the NIC only detect the cable when under 100mbps? I tried to have the duplex go to 1gbps but it would say that the cable is unplugged (I have a 150mbps internet plan). Anyone knows why?

5. Lutia

Lutia

"Duplex" can't be 100mbps, what you changed is the interface speed. Duplex can only be "full" or "half".

Regarding your question: What device are you connecting to?

6. matteroll

matteroll Thread Starter

haha i meant the duplex & speed option sorry :p. And its just desktop with a wired connection to my router/modem (its a 2 in 1 type of thing).

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

What precisely do you mean by the NIC "not detecting"?

8. matteroll

matteroll Thread Starter

Yeap. Sorry for the really broken english.

9. Lutia

Lutia

Could you post manufacturer and model, please?

10. matteroll

matteroll Thread Starter

The router is the Zhone zNID-GE-2426 and the NIC, as stated above, is the Realtek RTL8168D/8111D PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet. Even though it says "PCI-E", it is an onboard NIC. My motherboard is the MSI X58-GD65.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1064294