1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

night shots

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by wilson44512, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wilson44512

wilson44512 Thread Starter

I'm trying to take night shots. but cant get it to look good. I'm using my canon S3 IS.. can any one give me some tips. on how to get good night pics. here is a pic i took last night. i took it on auto with the flash off. on a tripod. i re-sized it to put in here. I'm not sure if you can see it but it has a lot of noise in it. or do you know of any tutorials on the subject.
    thanks for any in put.

Attached Files:

2. ChuckE

ChuckE

Digital cameras are notorious with having picture noise in dark scenes, especially when you then adjust to lighten up the picture. There are a few newer digital cameras that are better than others. I do not know where your Canon PowerShot S3 stands in that fray.

Attached Files:

3. slipe

slipe

Unfortunately I can’t access the EXIF. If you left the exposure in auto try using spot metering. It appears you are getting some of the sky and having it stop down too much.

In manual just increase your shutter time. You need full manual for night shots IMO. Aperture and shutter priority are automatic modes and you are back to metering problems.

You get more depth of field with a smaller aperture (larger number) but need a longer exposure. Just play with some settings.

That picture comes out pretty good with shadow/highlight in Photoshop.

4. Crispie

Crispie

the less is ISO - the less noises you will have.
    and google for night shot lessons....

5. Mistress Pooka

Mistress Pooka

why not just use a film camera? you will get a MUCH better result! the just scan the picture, otherwise it really isn't going to work for you, digital cameras are just good enough to make what you want to do look good yet, but if you are wanting to take the night shots for the lights that are above the porch . . . why not go someplace with a lot of light so shooting with a tripod with a low ISO might help you being there will be less shadows even if it is still at night, but to take a good night shot of that scene I would use a film camera.

6. erick295

erick295

wilson44512, as Crispie said, lower ISO = less noise. It's that simple. Save for buying a new camera, it's your only option. Once you get it down to the lowest ISO possible (try 100 if you can possibly get away with it), lowering the shutter speed from there will further reduce the noise. Keep in mind, though, that the ISO setting is the most important.

The fact that it's digital is not the problem. Film cameras suffer from the same problem for much the same reason; put a roll of cheap ISO 800 film in a $20 point-and-shoot, and you're going to get a photo that's just as miserable. A good camera with good film will reduce this noise, just as a good digital SLR will reduce it by using a larger sensor. Both are expensive.

7. sal10

sal10

What you'll get from a 35mm slide is better resolution. But you may have terrible problems with grain, which is the equivalent of digital noise, though some sort of like the look of grain (sometimes).

As someone else said, use a tripod, keep a low ISO, drag the shutter (keep it open longer). If you can use a flash, diffused or not, use a flash. If you don't have a graduated gradient filter to cut off a bright sky, then blow out the sky to pure white if it's the only way to capture the subject. Or use a tripod and double exposure and combine back in Photoshop. Just as long as the camera isn't introducing artifacts, as some earlier, smaller CCD digicams once did.

8. linskyjack

linskyjack

Please, this is more of the same Luddite thinking that really isn't based on fact. A properly exposed picture, using a tripod in this instance, and shooting at a low ISO with your digitial camera will work just fine.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!