1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Nighthawk R7000

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Suelong, Sep 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Suelong

Suelong Thread Starter

Hello all!

I have a router that I haven't used in a few years, it was boxed up in storage and I just came across it. It's a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 model R7000.

I purchased this while I was with my previous boyfriend. He was a big time gamer and very tech savvy. He did all the set up and passwords and online stuff. He gave me the info, but that was over two years ago and I've lost all that information and am no longer in contact w him.

Now I'd like to save the money it costs to pay for the modem/router combo from the cable company.

First, I was able to set up my personal modem, get a direct connection from the modem to my xbox1 with an Ethernet cable and get online. I contacted the cable company and gave them the serial number and all was fine.

So second, since I verified my modem was working, I wanted to get access to wifi from my router. I hooked up my modem to my router to my xbox and reset all my devices. I started by turning off all devices, letting them reset for 2 minutes plus, then started them one at a time from modem to router to Xbox.

The modem has all lights present and operating correctly, the router shows it has a connection to both the modem (incoming internet signal) and the Xbox (outgoing connection) indicated by solid white lights. The wifi on both 5ghz and 2.4ghz have solid active white lights.

Since I couldn't remember the passwords I did a hard factory reset. To the best of my knowledge, "password" should be the factory reset password. My network shows up in my wifi available networks but "password" is not working.

I have tried using the Xbox on Ethernet and it shows "no connection" in the connection status.

After having no luck with my router, I hooked the Ethernet back directly to my modem and my Xbox worked fine.

Since I need wifi, I'm hooked back up to my original cable modem, my Xbox is working fine.

So, this leads me to believe the problem lies solely with the router.

I called Netgear tech support but they want my to pay $89.00 if they help me solve my issue. I have no problem with my current set up from the cable company but I'm trying to SAVE money, not spend it! $89.00 would be almost a year of using the cable company's router. So Netgear is doing me no favors.

Does anyone have any insight on this situation? I have reached the limit of my tech knowledge.

Also, I do not have access to a laptop or PC. I think if I did, I'd be able to fix this problem without any assistance... :(

I apologize for the wordiness of this post and thank you for reading it through.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. Suelong

Suelong Thread Starter

I did do the factory reset, how come I can't connect to Internet from the router to my xbox via a Ethernet cable?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Use a PC first, login into the web interface and check the status.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1177829

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice