1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

nightly disconnect problem

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by chellemays, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chellemays

chellemays Thread Starter

for about the past 6 months after 8:30pm Central Time until the following morning I get disconnected on dial up. Im done all the typical things, shut off call waiting, checked the line, ive changed my ISP three times and am still having this problem, I've called Compaq, my ISP, and Norton all with no luck. During the day i can stay connected all day long without being disconnected at all. Unfortunately because im in a rural area I am unable to get DSL. Sometimes when i get disconnected my Norton firewall will say a remote system is trying to assess my computer and I will request to block that, but still no use I still get disconnected. Someone at compaq said possibly someone is using my pc as a launchpad since it's always the same times every day. Someone please help if you can I am at my wits end with this problem and am not sure where to go for help. I've done a factory restore twice because that was Compaq's suggestion and that didn't work.

2. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Let's see if you have any 'unwelcomed guests'.

Go to http://tomcoyote.org/hjt/ and download HiJackThis. Use Winzip to unzip it, then install and run it. To run, click the “Scan” button. When it's done the "Scan" button changes to "Save Log". Save the log file it creates (it should open in Notepad at that point). Copy and paste the results in your next post. IF you happen to be using a proxy server, please mention it in your post. Most of what it finds is harmless, so do not do anything yet. Someone will be glad to help you sort out any of the baddies that may be in there.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!