1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Nightmare Build - PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jchowanec, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jchowanec

jchowanec Thread Starter

Hey all,

Context: I've built PCs my whole life. I'm not an expert, but I've NEVER had this much bad luck doing this before.

Build:
    -MoBo: MSI P6N SLI Platinum
    -CPU: E6600 Dual Core Intel
    -PSU: Hiper 580w
    -Vid: EVGA GTS 8800

Problem: Computer will NOT boot to the BIOS (no video signal to the monitor), no beeping of the motherboard and NO LEDs at ALL on the D-Bracket (not red, or green like the manual says -- nothing. No response.) that came with my MSI board. All the case fans and CPU fans spin up, it looks like it has power...? I currently have it on cardboard to prevent any shorting queries. And have installed it with only one stick of RAM (G.Skill DDR2 800 1GB)

Question #1: Is the MoBo dust? MSI's website sucks for information.

More Info: When I power up the system, I see two LEDs on the MoBo -- one green under "main power" and one amber near the CMOS flash. I'm on my 2nd motherboard (first one, a gigabyte was definitely toast...)

Question #2: The ATX12V plug on this Mobo looks a bit strange. There's what looks like a 8-port plug that has a small, removable cover over 4 of the ports. Has anyone seen this before? I don't even know what plug to use. Then again, THIS could be my problem.

Image: [​IMG]

If I could somehow manage it, I would buy you all beer for helping me figure this out. I'm feeling stupider than my parents trying to figure out the iPhone.

Help, help, holy, holy hell, help. I love the idea of this board. I'd just like to get my computer working... :(

Thanks much.

-Chow

2. mclarenvj

mclarenvj

an 8 pin connector?
    im no genius, but my guess is that your CPU does'nt support the 8 pins....

P.S im underage so don't buy me a beer

3. bigbear

bigbear

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

The board will support either a 4 pin +12v or an 8 pin +12v connector. If your PSU has a 4 pin +12v connector plug it in, if it has an 8 pin +12v connector you just remove the cover off the additional 4 pins and plug it in. Whether you have the 4 pin +12v connector or the 8 pin +12v connector makes no difference.

From what you describe it sounds like you MAY have an airgap between the heatsink base and the processor heatspreader OR the heatsink is not contacting the processor under pressure. If the processor came with an Intel cooler try these directions.

These instructions ONLY apply to INTEL coolers that were shipped with pre-applied Thermal Interface Material or Thermal Interface Compound.

Without removing the cooler take a flat blade screwdriver and turn the locking pins 90-degrees counterclockwise to the unlock position. With all the locking pins loose, without lifting up on the cooler assembly "gently" turn the cooler assembly left and right a couple of times (Just a couple of degrees each way). Turn the locking pin assemblies back clockwise as far as they will go by hand, and re-align the locking pins with the holes in the motherboard. Push down HARD on 2 pins at a time diagonal from each other, until all 4 pins are fully down and locked.

After the processor cooler is fully down and locked, see if the machine will boot.

5. jchowanec

jchowanec Thread Starter

What about the fact that the D-Bracket LEDs show nothing? As if they aren't getting power? I'll try reseating the HS and Fan and will reply back.

6. eirkada

eirkada

Hi Jchowanec

Had the same problem with my P6N Platinum. Most components seemed to be working, CPU fans spinning up but no video signal and no leds on the D-bracket. Turned out my CPU was gone. System sprung to live with new CPU. Hope you've solved your problem.

7. brite750

brite750

8. brite750

brite750

System Power ON
    -The D-LED will hang here if the processor is damaged or not installed properly.

i think no lights mean this

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some thoughts on your problem.

1 Is the ram you are using listed on the approved list? Using untested ram does not mean it will not function however it has not been tested and found to work.

2 Have you tried an out of the case build to test your mounting of the board? This would be the first thing I would do.

3 Grab hold of your hsf [system powered off] and give it a twist. If you can move it without too much trouble, you do not have the hsf installed correctly.

BTW there is a guide for problem builds near the top of the hw forum page. If you follow the guide, you WILL find the cause of your problem.

10. brite750

brite750

yeah your memory is not on the approved list of course, that may not mean anything though

11. thook

thook

Almost identical specs but same problem:

Build:
    -MoBo: MSI P6N SLI Platinum
    -CPU: E6600 Dual Core Intel
    -Ram: 4G Corsair CM2X1024-8500C5
    -PSU: Aero Cool 500w
    -Vid: EVGA GT 8600 x2

Board powers up, green and amber LEDs light up when the power is applied and the power switch is pressed.

I have found an old system speaker and plugged it in-- there are no 'system' beeps at all. The "D-Bracket" LED lights are dark and do not blink, flash, light up or spell out go to hell.

I only have 1 of the video cards installed (non-sli mode) hoping for a glimpse of video out of this beast from the dark.

I have tried every permutation of RAM from all 4 in, to 1 in (trying each of the 4 in the #1 slot).

All fans are spinning, the dvd and hard drives are powering up/down

The front power button will only turn the box on---I have to use the power supply switch to turn the power off.

I don't know what else to try.

12. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

Striker extreme boards do this with quad core proccessors. If it is the same then a BIOS Flash should solve the problem, you will have to use another CPU to do this though and this may not be the exact same problem, but sounds very farmiliar.

I will await my shipment of beer.. :p :)

13. thook

thook

The board is almost dead.

I took it out of the case and tried to boot with, 1 stick of ram and the video card: No post and no video (RMA to newegg).

I looked at the retail box it came in and one of the corners was crushed as if it had been dropped--it had. The top right hand corner of the board had a bend and the underside was cracked (through one of the runs). My bet is the board is DOA

We'll see what happens with the next board.

14. christarp

christarp

That happened to my 2900 XT i got!.

curses.

Good luck on your next one.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595551

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice