1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

nimda

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by tcarter, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tcarter

tcarter Thread Starter

I have been infected with the Nimda virus on my win 2000 server. I have downloaded a removal tool from symantec, but I am waiting to use it until days end. Currently there are many mep*.tmp.exe processes that are taking up memory. Is it possible to end these processes immediately without affecting the stability of the server?

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I'm not sure but read this

Nimda spreads through e-mail (addresses gathered from MAPI messages in Outlook and HTML documents in cache), IP address scanning (probing for vulnerable IIS servers), and open network shares. Nimda's location on a local drive is typically on C:\, D:\, or E:\, but can overwrite system files and can be called a number of filenames, including: ADMIN.DLL, LOAD.EXE, MMC.EXE, README.EXE, RICHED20.DLL, MEP*.TMP.EXE. The RICHED20.DLL file is called by Word and WordPad for rich text documents, and the MMC.EXE file is the same filename as Microsoft Management Console used to manage servers. These files can get overwritten and run accidentally when Nimda has infected a system.

oops

let me look again

3. tcarter

tcarter Thread Starter

Is that the correct address you wanted me to visit?

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65131

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice