Nintendo Switch Charging

Cyberve

Hello, I am a big tech noob. I was wondering if I charged my Nintendo Switch using my laptop long term will it harm my laptop or switch? Thank you.

Cyberve

Oh, and another problem, its not charging when I plug it in. Whys that? Thank you.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Yes. You cannot use any other charger than the Nintendo one. I don't understand why Nintendo did this. It was a huge mistake for them to use the USB-C connector or not adhere to the USB-C specs for power. The issue you're running into is Nintendo opted to use the USB-C connector but use a non standard voltage. The voltage the Switch uses for its charge port is 4.7V. If you connect a standard USB-C charger or any USB-C port that can also charge, you run the risk of frying the charging chip in the Switch. This is a well documented issue. It's so much of a problem that even third party vendors that sell chargers specifically made for the Switch have seen issues frying Switch's connected to them.

Since it's not charging, I hope you didn't fry that charging chip because the only way to fix this is to send it back to Nintendo for repairs.

Cyberve

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:Oml, thank you for telling me that. My switch was charging, like only a few times only though. Whys that? Thank you.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Did you try using the official Nintendo Switch charger? If you tried with the official charger and it's not charging, then you've fried the charging chip.

Here's an article that explains what's going on:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/08/heres-why-nintendo-switch-consoles-keep-frying/

Now I don't know if charging through a laptop would bring about the same over voltage risks that using a third party charger might cause. But based on that article, I wouldn't charge a Switch with anything but an official Nintendo charger. Not only is the voltage spec non standard, it appears the actual physical layout of the USB-C port Nintendo uses is slightly non standard too.

Oh and I got the voltage specs wrong per my original post here. The Switch has a maximum of 6V for the power input and where the danger exists is that USB-C spec charging devices have fed as much as 9V into the Switch frying the charging chip.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online