1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector

Discussion in 'Games' started by spoink, Oct 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spoink

spoink Thread Starter

I got the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB connector to get wi-fi in my Wii and DSi for some pokemon games, and it used to work fine, then it started acting weird.

At first, I had it installed into my Windows XP desktop and it worked okay, other than the fact that I would have to take down my Firewall everytime I wanted to use it. THen I got a Windows Vista laptop, which I am currently using and it caused me a lot of problems.

The first time I downloaded it, it took me 2 hours before it finally worked. I don't know what I did differently for it to work, but it did, and I installed no drivers for it for windows vista, because this USB is a Windows XP device. So, I'm still confused on how it worked for a while in the first place.

Yesterday, I went to go into wi-fi on my pokemon platinum game and it said "No Access Point in Range." I knew this had to be wrong, because I had my laptop opened up and right next to me. Then I noticed that it wasn't lit up green and my laptop wasn't connecting it. So, I popped in my sofftware disk, waited for it to reinstall, and the weirdest error message popped up. "Internet Connection Sharing error. (6.)" I googled it and found multiple of the same situations. I used this site to help me out: http://techforums.nintendo.com/nins/board/message?board.id=wii_internet&thread.id=2112. I followed a few steps to different ones, and now I am getting different numbers. For example, last night I started getting "Internet Connection Sharing error. (4) and just a little while ago, I got (5). I downloaded the drivers for Windows Vista from this site: http://ms.nintendo-europe.com/software/nintendods/winxp/en/index.htm. But I was confused with the step process, so I deleted it off my computer. (Or atleast I think I did...)

So, any help with this would be wonderful. I wasn't sure whether to put this in gaming or networking, so I chose here. Don't eat me if that was the wrong choice. xD

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    ahh the pitfalls of ICS.

How is your laptop connected to the internet?

3. spoink

spoink Thread Starter

A linksys wireless router. It's hooked up to a Windows XP desktop. Two laptops and the desktop are currently hooked up to the Network. I had to take the USB out of the XP because the router would shut down when I disabled my Firewall, and the I would use the routers wifi, but it's to high tech for the normal DS and only works with the DSi.

I can get the exact model name if you like, but I do know it's a Linksys.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I have a Linksys router and use my DS with it with out any issues..

5. spoink

spoink Thread Starter

It's a type of Wi-Fi connection where you press the button on the router and it allows wifi access to the system. It's called a Wi-Fi Protected Setup, and the original DS doesn't have the option.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    interesting.... hmm. so what one do you have?

7. spoink

spoink Thread Starter

I wasn't sure what the name was, but I got the information off the router sticker. I think this is what you want though.

Linksys by CISCO Wireless-G Broadband Router
    Model No. WRT54GS2 V1

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Are you using WPA/WPA2 for the encryption?

9. spoink

spoink Thread Starter

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. I've never heard of those before.

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It's on your wireless router. WPA/WPA2 is a form of encryption that prevents other people to hack into your router.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/869597

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice