1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NLX mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kerri Ann, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

oh i'm so dumb. i got the wrong mobo. i bought it online for my PIII 933mhz cpu, and it fits, but it's NLX. i didn't pay much attention. (OBVIOUSLY!) well, now i have to get a new case, but what the heck are these type of mobos used for?

2. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

I think that's a "desktop" board.It would mount in a horizontal case instead of vertically in a "tower".It probably uses a riser card for the PCI slots,too.
    Example: http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=IBM300PL-56
    I know you are kind of a fan of older stuff,and you should be able to find a case for that pretty cheap,since not many people favor them.

3. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

ok cool, thanks gwizjoe.

i was afraid it was gonna be some kinda wierd server type thing...

thanks again! :)

4. compilerxp

compilerxp

While it is an NLX board - it should still fit inside an ATX case... have you tried?

I'm looking at a NLX board in a Gateway case (I'm about to throw the rest of it away), the screws for stand off looks the same as ATX.

PS: I threw away part of this case already - the mobo is dead. I'm giving the celeron 633 to a friend... :(

5. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

6. compilerxp

compilerxp

Hmmm... it was worth a shot. Sorry to hear about that.

Hey, perhaps if you only drill SMALL holes in the motherboard, it will still work? ;)

(Just Kidding).

NLX boards & hardware are difficult to work with - in getting parts to match. They usually only sell the boards with the cases, sold as bare-bones. :(

7. McTimson

McTimson

This may be a bit off topic, but I was looking at the picture of Kerri Ann's motherboard, and saw that AGP slot there (Item J)...how exactly would you add an AGP card? It doesn't seem like there would be any room for it...unless it's an older type of AGP card...?

8. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

oh great. i didn't even notice that. well, i think i'd rather get a new board than try to compensate for this one. that's two new boards i'm on the hunt for now...

thanks guys...

9. KeithKman

KeithKman

NLX board support DIM technology.

10. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

ummmm, whats that?

11. KeithKman

KeithKman

I mean DIMM. DIMM stands for Dual in-line Memory Modules.

I found this off a website:

Dual In-line Memory Modules (DIMMs) are printed circuit boards with gold or tin contacts and memory devices. DIMMs are similar to SIMMs, with the main difference being that the metal leads on each side of the DIMM are electrically independent. SIMMs have the metal leads electrically "connected".

SIMM vs DIMM:
    72-pin SIMMs transmit data 32 bits at a time, while 168-pin DIMMs transmit data 64 bits at a time. As systems moved to 64-bit bus widths, it made more sense to use DIMMs than SIMMs did as the standard memory form factor did. SDRAM technology itself has nothing to do with the transition from SIMMs to DIMMs; it's just that the transition from EDO to SDRAM technology and the transition from SIMMs to DIMMs happened at about the same time.

http://www.neweraer.com/Support/support2.html

12. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

i thought atx boards did too- am i missing something? i am assuming that nlx is like atx- a form factor.

13. compilerxp

compilerxp

I'm sorry Kerri Ann, I had mixed up two different form factors. I was thinking FlexATX... which is COMPLETELY different than NLX. FlexATX are tiny boards, but can still fit in standard caseds - but are not design for that in mind.

NLX boards are from the OLD days, before ATX (I THINK) as its a generally a stupid design that many NAME BRAN companies liked to use to make their hardware "Special" from the standardized AT/ATX form factors. These include IBM, Gateway, Dell, SONY, etc... INTEL made most of these boards.

That slot at the top is not not an AGP, the photo from Gateway doesn't list what the parts are... its most like some odd-ball slot for a modem or some other internal part (A card would crash into the Printer/Serial ports). The bottom part of the board is the edge connector for PCI/ISA bus slots. The rear most connector is most likely the POWER conenctor as there isn't ANY ATX/AT power connectors on the motherboard. Heres a basic NLX set up:
    http://www.intel.com/design/quality/nlx

Heres a system: http://www.kangarose.com/tss/images/NLX.jpg

Did the buyer STATE that the board was an NLX form factor? For those who need such boards, they are worth the $30~75.

14. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

well, the fact that it's worth that much makes me feel a little better. i got it for 18 bucks.
    and yes, they did plainly state that it was nlx, but i was in a hurry, and didn't notice. the picture they had for it was small, so i didn't hardly look at it.
    it was just a dumb move on my part.
    also, i now have noticed that there is a clip missing on one of the dimm slots. just my luck, since the manufacturer says they will refund or replace, but i have to pay for return shipping, and the shipping for the other board!
    i sure have been getting jipped an awful lot these days.
    i was thinking i could try to fix the dimm clip, and still use the board. but finding a decent priced case is impossible! i'm going to try going to a swap meet nearby in a couple weeks, they may have something there.
    thanks for your help compilerxp

15. compilerxp

compilerxp

Yep... a swap meet would be best place... I'd try to find it a home for someone else... rather than a case... unless someone has a DEAD system and would sell you a compatible case... its all tricky.

PS: Local MicroCenter sells IBM PII-400Mhz systems (with HD/CPU/RAM) I think for about $50~75 which uses that type of board (I think)... again.. good look, find it a home.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172552

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice