1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NMI/Memory Check Parity error and NV4_disp infinite loop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ADamiani, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ADamiani

ADamiani Thread Starter

When I am running 3d applications I am getting, at random intervals, NMI/memory parity check errors and an accompanying BSOD.
    When I run non-3d applications, I get, at somewhat less frequent intervals, a screen that flicks to black, flicks normal, flicks to black, normal, stops updating the normal screen properly, flicks black, normal, etc-- and occasionally dumps me in an NV4_disp.dll infinite loop error BSOD.

Dell has been absolutely no help at all. I've updated my drivers and my BIOS, defragged and chkdsk'd, reset the BIOS settings, reseated and ultimately replaced my RAM, tweaked my pagefile size, ran the supposed NV4loopfix software, cleaned my registry, spent countless hours talking to tech support-- basically everything but replacing the Motherboard/Video Card or wiping the HD.

I am running a DELL Inspiron E1705 laptop with an Intel T2500 @ 200GHZ, with 1024 megs of RAM and 100 GB HD running Windows XP-Media Center Edition. My Video Card is a NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS Running Forceware 84.63

Please, please help, it's been getting steadily worse for two months and I'm quite at my wits' end.

2. rexgrant

rexgrant

Hi ADamiani.
    Well no one can say you have not tried.Has dell issued you with your windows installation Disk.Because I dont think it is a hardware problem,It may be your video drivers need cleaning with Driver cleaner pro Free download.But what I would do if I were you is to format your hard drive and reinstall everything new.But as you have a dell pc you must make sure they have supplied you with all the drivers for you mobo before you start,
    But try the Driver cleaner first and clean in safe mode.
    Good luck.
    Rex

3. ADamiani

ADamiani Thread Starter

I dont think it is a hardware problem,It may be your video drivers need cleaning with Driver cleaner pro Free download.

Done.
    Doesn't seem to have solved the issue. I've been able to replicate the NMI/Parity error since then, as this was always the easier issue to replicate (though I believe these to be closely linked). It may have alleviated the situation with regards to NV4_disp -- but I doubt it.
    :(

I can't do a PC-restoreor format C:\ because I'm in Korea, in the middle of a move, and half of my software install disks are on the other side of the Pacific Ocean.

4. Funnyguy

Funnyguy

I recently purchased a new system, 1GB RAM, 2x512MB nvidia 7600GT SLI and using windows media center. When my wife plays SIMS 2 I get BSOD stating nv4_disp infinite loop. I have troubleshot all the same things that you have and still continue to encouter the same results. While spending numerous hours research forum and google, I find that it has a common denominator of windows media center. I will try the Driver cleaner pro and see if that will help me out. I am gettign very frustrated with this and almost to the point of sending ti back. I will be upgrading to 2GB, not sure if that will help or not either, just who knows.

5. ADamiani

ADamiani Thread Starter

Having used it subsequently, the driver cleaner did help me quite a bit. I had brought my Nv4_disp errors upon myself in swapping drivers as a futile measure to deal with it. So, I recommend you give it a go on yours-- though, like you, I shared the common denominator of XP-MCE.

Still no luck on the NMI/Memory Parity stuff I'm afraid.

6. Funnyguy

Funnyguy

No luck on the driver cleaner. I sure hope a resolution in obtained quickly as I'm about done with this computer. I will continue working wiht tech support as well.

7. rexgrant

rexgrant

Hi again
    Well now you both know your video drivers are OK I do believe there is a tool for setting and checking Party in a pc but I cannot point you to it.You must google, check parity and parity problems see what points to your problem and go from there.
    Good luck you will sort it out we have all been there
    Regards
    Rex

8. laser225

laser225

Helo all,

I am currently getting NMI/memory check parity erros on my Alieanware 5750(really the same thing as a dell XPS). If you are using a notebook, the problem is very likely due to a hardware malfunction (as listed on the blue screen of death)

As your notebook gets older, it tends to run hotter due to:

-dust in the fan that cools the heat pipe/cpu
    -a less orginized registry/file system causing the cpu to idle less bringing the average temperature of the notebook up as much as 10 degrees celcius.

An NMI error can be caused my more then just the system memory. Any hardware component with memory on it can generate these errors(System memory, video card, network card, motherboard, modem).

My lapotp now had a *defective* video card meaning, the memory is damaged so if I attempt to run any graphical application (or if by some chance windows decides to use the memory location) I will get that error. A screen saver will crash my computer :eek:

I have tried many attempts to keep my laptop cooled. Even with a notebook cooler and keeping the house around 70 degrees, it still runs pretty hot. I have come to the conclusion that the best way to prevent the NMI/Memory clock error is to not purchase a dell notebook (poor cooling options in their current notebooks), and to purchase a notebook with a mid-range processor and video card that generate less heat.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537620

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice