1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no access to control panel

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gray d, Nov 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gray d

gray d Thread Starter

I got an error while browsing the net on my laptop, error message:

Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to be closed. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
    If you were in the midddle of something, the information you were working on might be lost. [Close]

A new icon appeared on my desktop and a new program was also installed. I immediately ran ad-aware se and it pulled up over 300 critical errors. I deleted all the errors but it couldn't remove 2 of them. It instructed that it would be removed if I reboot and ran it again. I did so 4 times.

Upon reboot I get the same error mesg:
    Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to be closed. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
    If you were in the midddle of something, the information you were working on might be lost. [Close]

I rebooted in safe mode and tried to restore but upon reboot it stated that the computer could not restore at the previous point. I tried that again twice with 2 other restore points with the same results.

I don't have access to any of my documents. :confused: :mad: :confused:

Can anyone help me?

XP

2. Holly3278

Holly3278

Try downloading Spybot Search and Destroy and see if it will remove the other two. It might also find other stuff that Adaware didn't.

3. gray d

gray d Thread Starter

I was able to dl sbsd through one of my programs and although it ran and found some errors I am now getting warning pages saying that I have spyware installed and this particular warning is locked on my desktop. I just ran adaware and it pulled 41 critical errors.

HELP Me Please.

4. Funkmeister

Funkmeister

gray d,

Can you look at the details of the error message that's provided when Explorer crashes out please? It will give a far better idea of what it causing the crash.

There are several other threads on the forum of a similar nature and can be caused by a number of things. I suspect that spyware/adware may NOT be the culprit for the errors you are recieving, rather that you have an underlying system error which in most circumstances can be easily fixed. We can worry about any crudware later on.

Before we can start to help you fix this, we need to know more about the root cause of the problem. When you next get the error, there should be a 'View Details' button. If you can screen-grab this or make a note manually that would be great.

Also search the forum and see if any of the other threads help to solve your problem.

Best regards,

5. gray d

gray d Thread Starter

I dl hjt and got this when ran it:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
    Scan saved at 10:19:27 AM, on 11/6/2004
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\crypserv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Power Management\CePMTray.exe
    C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\E-KEY\CeEKey.exe
    C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TouchPad\TPTray.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\EzButton\CPLBTS88.EXE
    C:\toshiba\ivp\ism\pinger.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Drag'n Drop CD\BinFiles\DragDrop.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Burton\Application Data\belh.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\LimeWire\LimeWire 4.0.8\LimeWire.exe
    C:\Program Files\Handspring\HOTSYNC.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FRONTPG.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Burton\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.cnn.com/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.toshiba.com
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page_bak = about:blank
    R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - _{CFBFAE00-17A6-11D0-99CB-00C04FD64497} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {00000010-6F7D-442C-93E3-4A4827C2E4C8} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
    O2 - BHO: BHO - {06CAD548-14DD-4fa3-9EA9-05F83C18CBD7} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\mspxs32.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {10C0AC10-1C06-41FB-9DAE-DAAA3F0CC398} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\cgiaaeb.dll (file missing)
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {6EDB3707-ED33-5B93-D504-125508F67968} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\jcsw.dll (file missing)
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CeEPOWER] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Power Management\CePMTray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CeEKEY] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\E-KEY\CeEKey.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPNF] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TouchPad\TPTray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CPLBTS88] C:\PROGRA~1\EzButton\CPLBTS88.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Pinger] c:\toshiba\ivp\ism\pinger.exe /run
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Agent] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Drag'n Drop CD] C:\Program Files\Drag'n Drop CD\BinFiles\DragDrop.exe /StartUp
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Pop-Up Stopper] "E:\Panicware\Pop-Up Stopper\dpps2.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PrinTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\2\printray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EbatesMoeMoneyMaker0] "C:\Program Files\Ebates_MoeMoneyMaker\EbatesMoeMoneyMaker0.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Win32 Explorer] C:\WINDOWS\System32\explorer32.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows AdTools] C:\Program Files\Windows AdTools\WinAdTools.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sais] c:\program files\180solutions\sais.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [bDjBLFN.exe] c:\documents and settings\burton\local settings\temp\bDjBLFN.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [R.exe] c:\documents and settings\burton\local settings\temp\R.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Win32 Explorer] C:\WINDOWS\System32\explorer32.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Uuse] C:\Documents and Settings\Burton\Application Data\belh.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Oxisw] C:\WINDOWS\System32\??chost.exe
    O4 - Startup: HotSync Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Handspring\HOTSYNC.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: LimeWire 4.0.8.lnk = C:\Program Files\LimeWire\LimeWire 4.0.8\LimeWire.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
    O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - c:\program files\partypoker\IEExtension.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - c:\program files\partypoker\IEExtension.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Ebates - {6685509E-B47B-4f47-8E16-9A5F3A62F683} - file://C:\Program Files\Ebates_MoeMoneyMaker\Sy350\Tp350\scri350a.htm (file missing) (HKCU)
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.toshiba.com
    O15 - Trusted Zone: *.skoobidoo.com
    O15 - Trusted Zone: *.tl81.com
    O15 - Trusted Zone: *.windupdates.com
    O16 - DPF: {FA3662C3-B8E8-11D6-A667-0010B556D978} (IWinAmpActiveX Class) - http://cdn.digitalcity.com/_media/dalaillama/ampx.cab

Can anyone help, please.

6. Funkmeister

Funkmeister

Posting a HJT log is useful under some circumstances but just posting one for the sake of it is pointless.

I can only presume that you read and have ignored my post Gray d, so when you're ready to FOLLOW ADVICE you go right ahead and let me know.

Regards,

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!