No access to recovery partition after motherboard change

gundalf

Hi all,

I recently had a service done on my Lenovo Yoga C740-14IML Laptop where the motherboard and USB was changed.
Now having had it returned there was some issues with the windows security settings not allowing me to activate the fingerprint reader or the pin code login options.
I figured the quickest way to fix it would be to do another factory reset, as I had already done one just before sending it for service.
After pressing the small button underneath the laptop to initiate the recovery I'm no longer able to access the recovery image. I can only asume this is due to the motherboard change.

My question is if there is a way to regain the factory/recovery functionality in the laptop or other suggestions...just reinstalling windows ignoring the recovery partition alltogether...or if I should/need to send it back for repairs again?

Best regards,

//Mikael

There may be fixes for this, but for motherboard change it is recommended to perform clean installation of windows.

In any case you want to backup your data first to removable drive such as external disk or USB.

Depending on your OS edition you want to reinstall correct edition, however note that Windows key used to activate Windows if given by OEM will no longer work, because of motherboard change.

There are options you can try such as:
1. "Repair my Computer" using installation media, you can use it to perform repair not to install or reinstall,
As soon as you choose language during installation procedure there is "Repair my Computer" to try repair.
Bellow link explains how to create installation media.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-10-create-installation-media

2. Another option is to perform repair upgrade:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

gundalf

There may be fixes for this, but for motherboard change it is recommended to perform clean installation of windows.

In any case you want to backup your data first to removable drive such as external disk or USB.

Depending on your OS edition you want to reinstall correct edition, however note that Windows key used to activate Windows if given by OEM will no longer work, because of motherboard change.

There are options you can try such as:
1. "Repair my Computer" using installation media, you can use it to perform repair not to install or reinstall,
As soon as you choose language during installation procedure there is "Repair my Computer" to try repair.
Bellow link explains how to create installation media.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-10-create-installation-media

2. Another option is to perform repair upgrade:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html
Thank you Zebanovich,

All my data is backed up so I'm ready to try reinstalling. I've created the installation media on a USB stick.
As you point out a clean install using the original product key (which I've also extracted) would not work due to it's OEM nature and the motherboard change...so I'll try a repair install.
Though I guess doing the repair install will not help recover access to the recovery partition on the hard drive for future use, or for the interest of selling the laptop at a later date?

Best regards,

//Mikael

I guess doing the repair install will not help recover access to the recovery partition on the hard drive for future use, or for the interest of selling the laptop at a later date?
I think getting access to data on recovery drive may not be possible simply by upgrading, I'm not sure what steps to perform to get the data.

It should be possible to do it with command prompt by using installation media, although it's questionable if this could be reused by new operating system.

You can do it for example to manually examine contents, for example to get some personal data.

If you're going to sell the laptop, the hard drive should be cleaned completely by using bellow command in command prompt:
NOTE: this will destroy everything on hard drive and takes time to finish
Code:
clean /all
You don't just enter command and hit enter.
It's done in the context of DISKPART with correct drive selected

If your drive contains some top secrets you'll need to do it other way around, the clean /all command just zeroes out the disk, and is sufficient to hide your stuff from buyer.

gundalf

Thanks for the tip,
I meant more in the in the interest of selling a fully functioning laptop...allowing a buyer to be able to use the little switch underneath the laptop and easily do a factory reset whenever they feel the need to.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Post a screenshot of Disk Management please, with it's window expanded to show all the info, that should show if the recovery partition is still there or not :- https://forums.techguy.org/help/screenshot/

Changing a motherboard should not have changed anything on the hard drive.
What do you mean by 'and USB was changed' ? Who did the 'repair' ?

gundalf

Post a screenshot of Disk Management please, with it's window expanded to show all the info, that should show if the recovery partition is still there or not :- https://forums.techguy.org/help/screenshot/

Changing a motherboard should not have changed anything on the hard drive.
What do you mean by 'and USB was changed' ? Who did the 'repair' ?
HD info.jpgNOVO 2_20170413070528.jpgNOVO 3_20170413070709.jpgIMG_1199 (1).jpgInkedIMG_1200 (1)_LI.jpgIMG_1202 (1).jpgIMG_1203 (1).jpgIMG_1204 (1).jpg

Thanks for asking more details!
Should have posted images from the start...attaching screen shots and photos below of where things are going wrong.
Also the laptop is still under warranty so the repair was done by Lenovo. They did not send any written specification as to what repairs had been done on the machine...so I called the support to ask directly and I got the reply that the motherboard and USB board had been replaced.

The recovery partition definitely seems to be there though the Lenovo One Key Recovery doesn't seem able to connect with it. Posting a sequence of images below and apologies for some being in swedish...
HD info.jpg

When pressing the One Key Recovery button and selecting recovery I'm now brought to a screen for selecting Language and then keyboard layout.

I dont recall arriving at the language and keyboard layout screens when I did the factory reset procedure before sending the laptop for service.

I'm supposed to arrive at these screens...
NOVO 2_20170413070528.jpg

and then this one...
NOVO 3_20170413070709.jpg

This is the sequence I recall happening before...but now I'm no longer presented with the option Reset This PC and instead arriving directly at advanced options, where I've tried the last option Recover Windows Using a System Image file.

IMG_1199 (1).jpg

This takes me to the screen for inputing my recovery key.

InkedIMG_1200 (1)_LI.jpg

After inputing the key I end up at this screen.

IMG_1202 (1).jpg

Apologies again for the swedish...it simply says "Can not find a system image on this computer".
Pressing cancel brings me here...

IMG_1203 (1).jpg

The only option available is Choose a System Image...Pressing Next brings me here...

IMG_1204 (1).jpg

Saying if the system image is in a external device...attach the device then press update. Or if the image is on a network location press advanced...

So I'm wondering if the conection/access to the recovery partition has been lost? Can it easily be reinstated?
Is the system recovery image valid any more since the motherboard has been changed (concerning microsoft's OEM license policies)? Should Lenovo in fact have wiped the hard disk and put a brand new OEM license of windows to make this pretty much a brand new machine?

Best regards,

//Mikael

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I think the One Key Recovery 'hidden' partition is missing, it should show up in Disk Management, the 3rd partition on your hard drive is made by Windows when it's installed, so it looks like they re-installed windows for some reason.

I think the One Key Recovery 'hidden' partition is missing, it should show up in Disk Management, the 3rd partition on your hard drive is made by Windows when it's installed, so it looks like they re-installed windows for some reason.
Assuming that Windows was reinstalled when it was repaired shouldn't official Lenovo installation media have been used? If it had I would have expected the recovery partition to be recreated with Lenovo software installed with Windows to access it. If I were the OP I would call Lenovo to find out what is going on.

gundalf

Assuming that Windows was reinstalled when it was repaired shouldn't official Lenovo installation media have been used? If it had I would have expected the recovery partition to be recreated with Lenovo software installed with Windows to access it. If I were the OP I would call Lenovo to find out what is going on.
Yes I agree, OP should contact Lenovo about this.
Thanks Zebanovich, MisterEd and Managed,

I have contacted Lenovo support and the person I spoke to said pretty much the same thing as Zebanovich did earlier in the thread...and also if it didn't work by repair installing windows I would have to send the machine back to them for repair again.
I guess it will come to that...I have a hard time seeing that doing a repair install of windows would reinstate functionality for the the one key recovery option.

Thank you all for the advice.

I'll try the repair install and see what happens then.

Best regards,

//Mikael

gundalf

Just wanted to give an update!

It seems the repair installation of windows worked and it actually reinstated the functionality of the "one key recovery" in the laptop...but I'm going to have to contact Lenovo support again anyway as another issue has presented itself.

This laptop is a Yoga C740 with a 10th gen. i7, but when using the Lenovo Service Bridge to automatically scan for new drivers the app reports back a completely different model laptop and the wrong serial number.
There is one letter missing in the reported serial number from the actual one of the laptop, which brings up a thinkpad model released in 2013.
I checked it in powershell with the "wmic bios get serialnumber" command and the bios reports back a serial number missing one letter.
I guess when programming the bios after replacing the motherboard a tired or dyslexic support engineer missed one letter in the serial number, causing the mistaken identity in the Service Bridge app.

Hoping everything will be allright once this has been corrected. :)

On the back (and probably front too) of your laptop there is a sticker, copy information from these stickers here.

Then follow bellow steps to generate system information file:

1. Click on Windows button
2. Type msinfo32 on your kyeboard
3. Right click on "System Information" and Run as Administrator
4. If asked for password enter your password and click OK
5. Click on: File -> Save...
6. Save the file to your desktop or to C:\ drive directly
8. Zip up the file and attach to your reply

For more information about msinfo32 tool see bellow link:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...of-microsoft-system-information-msinfo32-tool

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online