1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no agp slot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sbhunt, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sbhunt

sbhunt Thread Starter

I just bought a new computer from DELL a few weeks ago. Decided that I needed to upgrade the video card.... but now I see that there is no agp slot. Is there anything I can do, or am I just stuck with the onboard graphics?

2. saikee

saikee

Many good quality video cards are also available to plug into the PCI slots.

3. sbhunt

sbhunt Thread Starter

Is there such a thing as an external agp adaptor?
    Reason why I ask is I already purchased one only to find I had no agp slot.
    It's a brand new computer... and I can't believe it doesn't have one.

4. Rockn

Rockn

What is the model number? I am sure there is an AGP slot unless they are putting out the new PCI Express bus already.

5. sbhunt

sbhunt Thread Starter

Model number of the PC itself?
    I got the Dell Dimension 2400 under buisness class.
    Upgraded everything with the exception of the Nvidia card.
    This is the vid card I purchased seperately:
    XFX GeForce FX 5200 256MB DDR 8X AGP w/ TV & DVI

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

7. WarC

WarC

You can buy that graphics card with a PCI slot. If you bought that card through Dell, just call their tech support with your problem. Dell is usually pretty good about that sort of thing. Or, try the place you bought it from.

Newegg has an Apollo nVidia FX5200 with 128MB of RAM for $70 in stock as of this post. PCI-E and the newest highend AGP/PCI-E graphics cards are hitting the market at the same time, so all the previous generation cards are coming down in price. It's about the best you can do for a PCI slot. It will be pretty limited in speed compared to the AGP version because of the slower slot. However it has a high amount of RAM for a PCI card. The Radeon equivelant, the 9200se, would be roughly the same in terms of performance.

Many of the OEM brands do not include AGP in their budget and business-class machines for a bunch of reasons. Many workstation computers which the business class is oriented for do not require an AGP slot because a highend PCI card is up to the task.

8. brite750

brite750

you have to be really careful when you buy a pc, if you know your thinking of upgrading your video card you have to make sure that it has a agp slot, if just bought the pc i would look into sending it back for an upgrade, the 2400 is Dell's base model, go the next model up with an agp card. it's only money and if you are not happy it is NOT money well spent.

9. brite750

brite750

looks like you would have to bump up to the 4600 before they offer an agp card

10. brite750

brite750

base 4600 is $619 base 2400 is $349 is having an agp worth the extra $270 plus what ever you paid for your card, WOW!!

11. sbhunt

sbhunt Thread Starter

Looks like I'm going to have to sell this thing on ebay. *sigh*
    It's not really worth 300.00 just to get the agp slot.
    That's why I got the 2400 in the first place.
    Really, I just wanted to play an online game... and Final Fantasy Online has really high system requirements.
    Thanks for all your help though. I should have checked before I bought it.

12. brite750

brite750

PC Requirements (Bare Minimum)

- 800 MHz Pentium III Processor
    - Windows 98 or higher
    - DirectX 8.1 or higher
    - 128 MB of RAM
    - 6.5 GB of Hard Drive Space
    - CD Rom drive
    - A 56k connection or greater
    - An ATI card with at least 32 MB of Video RAM or a NVIDIA GeForce card with at least 32 MB of Video RAM.

THESE ARE THE GAME REQUIREMENTS
    doesn't say you need a agp card, but it doesn't say you don't either, i would think that if you can get a good pci card it might be playable. To play graphic intensive games today you are gonna spend about $600 for a nice build it yourself system, it won't be top of the line but will be good, if you can spend more on a garfix card it will bump you up more in the $800 range. Buying a premade pc you talking more like $800 to $1200, for Alienware pc you talking a mortgage.

13. Topato

Topato

you could just replace the motherboard. It would probably run you about $20-100

14. brite750

brite750

your probably right as long as mobo/psu isn't proprietary, it's a good thought.
    here are some cards for your existing system

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=14-102-354&DEPA=1
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-145-055&depa=1
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-133-068&depa=1
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-150-061&depa=1

15. sbhunt

sbhunt Thread Starter

Originally Posted by Topato
    you could just replace the motherboard. It would probably run you about $20-100

heh And you're assuming I know how to do this... ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273795

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice