1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No AGP slot?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Nutmeg10, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nutmeg10

Nutmeg10 Thread Starter

Hi. I hope someone can help me.

I bought oblivion and I was going to get a new graphics card because mine can't run it. (Mine is an integrated Intel 86825G). So I took it to the computer guy up the road and he was all ready to put in the new card but when he opened the tower he said that my computer has no AGP slot. He said that the only way I can run oblivion is to replace my motherboard and get one that has an AGP slot - which I can't afford to do. My computer is pretty good (other than this) and it would be a shame to replace it just for this one thing.

Is there anything else I can do? I don't know - maybe there's some kinda adapter or something?

Thanx. Nutmeg.

2. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

3. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    Could you identify the computer make and model. The "computer guy up the road", who is he?

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Nutmeg, if your machine is new(ish), chances are that your machine does not have an AGP slot (some machines don't) in favor of the new PCI slot. If not, you can still use the old type PCI slot

What is your machine make, model, & specifications?

5. blaine2521

blaine2521

How old is your PC i dont think the newer PC's come with a AGP slot. But it may have a PCI-e slot...

6. Nutmeg10

Nutmeg10 Thread Starter

Hi. Thanx for all the replies.

Iv'e tried oldblivion and 3Danalyzer to no effect.

My pc is +- 4 years old. It is an hp compaq with an intel p4 2.8 processor. I have 512 ram. I don't know what else u need to know. I don't really know much about the technical side of things.

How do I tell if my pc has a PCI slot?

7. blaine2521

blaine2521

A PCI slot is white and about 4-5 inches long. A AGP slot is brown and the same length. You can get a PCI card pretty cheap less than $70. Dont get confused with PCI and PCI-e when you go and buy it.

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The model number. You should be able to find that on the sticker with the serial number.

9. Blasphemer

Blasphemer

As it seems you don't have an AGP slot, and as your PC is quite old its unlikely it has a PCI-E slot. The best solution for you, would probably be a Geforce 6200 PCI or if you want the fastest PCI card there is a Radeon X1550 PCI, although its a bit pricey.

10. seanio

seanio

Hi. can I ask. I'm thinking of getting a new PC and want to use my old Graphic card but the new pc's don't seem to have a AGP slot. Does that mean i'd have to buy a new PCI Express card?

11. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

does ur video card use pci? If yes, use it, If not, i would recommend buy the PCI-x card

12. seanio

seanio

Hi. I;m not sure. It's a AGP card. Can that go in a pci express slot???

13. DevilRat

DevilRat

AGP cards won't go in PCI-express slots

14. ACA529

ACA529

Guys, guys, guys....

You're getting him all confused now.

Nutmeg, do you have a PCI-Express slot in your motherboard? That's the question that needs to be answered. Nevermind this PCI stuff... we need to know if you have a PCI-E (PCI-Express) slot in your motherboard.

My apologies for all the confusion...

15. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

Your motherboard has a PCI-X slot. Your card cannot fit in because yours is an AGP, you card requires an motherboard that has an AGP Slot. PCI card must go into PCI slot, AGP card must go ino AGP slot, and PCI-express card goes into PCI-express slot. You'll need to buy a pci-express video card, its much faster than the regluar PCI, Don't buy the PCI, cause its almost like runnign with the onboard video card.

Understood??:)
    Pretty straight forward, not confusing?(y)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/563124

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice