No audio at all

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

OldGuy70

I had a Solid-State (SS) 'hard drive' installed four days ago, with a clean install of Windows 7 on my relatively old Dual Core, Quad Processor PC. I did so because the system was running increasingly slow, and am delighted with how much faster it is now, since the O/S and everything else is on the SS drive. But yesterday I went to a website to order an E-Card for Mother's Day, and found that I needed to have Adobe Flash Player installed to view it. I downloaded that, but then found that I no longer had any audio at all, whether plugged into the PC at the front or back. I checked the speaker by connecting it to my backup PC instead, and it worked fine, so I checked the (digital, high def, from MSFT) audio device on my main PC. According to Control Panel, it is set as default, enabled, set to maximum volume, and 'working properly'. But when I tested it via Control Panel, on various sounds, nothing was heard, at any frequency or sample rate. If anyone has any experience with this, I would appreciate hearing about it. Here is the sysinfo from my PC:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 4095 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (378 GB Free); E: 465 GB (174 GB Free);
Motherboard: To be filled by O.E.M., To be filled by O.E.M.
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Enabled and Updated

naresh498

Naresh k
Please check if the audio drivers are upto under device manager, if its already uptodate then You may try reinstalling audio drivers from Device manager, restart and check again. Thanks.

OldGuy70

Please check if the audio drivers are upto under device manager, if its already uptodate then You may try reinstalling audio drivers from Device manager, restart and check again. Thanks.
Thanks, OL, but when I tried to update the audio driver via Device Manager, it checked and said that 'Windows has determined that the driver is up-to-date', and 'The best driver for your device is already installed'. BTW, there are two high def audio controllers listed under System Devices under Device Manager, but only one under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers. I tried disabling the one listed there and then re-enabling it. That made no difference. Is there any risk in my uninstalling the driver there?

naresh498

Naresh k
it shouldn't be a problem, please click action- scan for hardware changes after uninstalling and restarting the computer .You should see the driver which was uninstalled back there again, test the audio. you have to do this under sound, game controller section in device manager

Last edited:

OldGuy70

I uninstalled the driver, NA, and rebooted, and reinstalled and re-enabled it, then tested it. Still no audio, and device manager still says that it is AOK. I wonder if I should uninstall Adobe Flash Player, since I believe this problem only appeared after I downloaded and installed that.

naresh498

Naresh k
yep, you can try that as well. I was about to give that..please type appwiz.cpl in serach and uninstall the latest flash player which was installed..restart and check again.

OldGuy70

yep, you can try that as well. I was about to give that..please type appwiz.cpl in serach and uninstall the latest flash player which was installed..restart and check again.
I did uninstall Adobe Flash Player, NA, but that didn't make any difference, either. Any other ideas? (I appreciate your help.)

naresh498

Naresh k
How about system restore? are you ok with it..do you have any recent restore points. can you please check? and before that if possible can you load the windows in safemode and see if audio works there.

OldGuy70

How about system restore? are you ok with it..do you have any recent restore points. can you please check? and before that if possible can you load the windows in safemode and see if audio works there.
Unfortunately, the guy who installed the solid-state drive and re-installed the OS four days ago did not back it up, and I didn't either. I'll test the audio in safe mode.

OldGuy70

I shut down and re-booted to load Windows in safe mode, but was not offered that option. Do you know why, and how to get that option?

naresh498

Naresh k
who is the manufactuerer of laptop? it depends on the make of the laptop, we have to keep tapping the f8 key or some key to get into safe mode while the machine is getting started or restarted.

naresh498

Naresh k
Did you try troubleshooting audio by simply right clicking speaker icon on system tray and selecting troubleshooting sound problems, what does it say for both options there?

OldGuy70

Did you try troubleshooting audio by simply right clicking speaker icon on system tray and selecting troubleshooting sound problems, what does it say for both options there?
I was able to boot in Safe Mode by pressing F8 during boot, NA, and troubleshooting there found 'One or more problems' in playing audio, which the system could not fix. It reported that 'Both Windows Audio and Windows End Point Builder Services must be running, and at least one is not. There may be a problem with the audio device.' It seems odd that when Windows is running in 'Normal mode', it reports that the device is fine, but not in Safe Mode. BTW, I tried troubleshooting via the speaker icon at the lower right of the desktop, too, but it simply accesses the 'Test' feature that is available via Control Panel, which I tried several times without success. BTW, I also uninstalled Adobe Flash Player, but that did nothing, either.

OldGuy70

I still have no audio, Naresh, and no longer have Adobe Flash Player since I uninstalled it. Is there any reason not to reinstall that, at the Adobe website? Or should I uninstall Google Chrome and reinstall it, since I was once told that Chrome included Adobe Flash Player when installed. Any suggestions?

OldGuy70

As I mentioned earlier, Naresh, the speaker icon on the system tray shows that I have a digital audio system (S/PDIF). My speakers are quite old, and almost certainly operate via analog rather than digital input. Could that be a problem? (But they worked fine with the digital audio hardware until very recently.)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online