1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Audio Device Found

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daniel Ong, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Daniel Ong

Daniel Ong Thread Starter

Hi I have a similiar problem.....I have lost all audio and I can't find my Volume Icon on my Taskbar. when I tried to open the Volume Control from Start->Accessories->Entertainment->Volume Control the following Messege appears:

"There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices,go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware and then click Add Hardware
    The program will now close"

In Control Panel-> Sound & Audio Devices-> Sound & Audio Device Properties->
    Volume-> No Audio Device.(greyed out)
    Audio-> Default Device -> No Playback Device.
    I am using a Intel Celeron D845GVAD2 Motherboard and running on Windows XP Home Edition.

I tried unsuccessfully installing Sigmatel AC 97 driver......half way thru I get a....Device Object Not Present.

Went into Bios couldn't find and audio component to turn on.

Went into services.msc found only Windows Audio found nothing unusual.

Went into msconfig and turn on anything that says audio.

Had a Intel Express Installer cd rom but the audio compnonent is greyed out. Was told either Bios not turn on or not detected on Motherboard but doesn't make any sense as this Motherboard comes with an integrated audio.

Desperate for solution. Please help and Thanks

2. By_Rock

By_Rock

Go to your device manager (Start>Run>devmgmt.msc). And look at the your audio device. If you see any yellow question mark (Unknown audio device something like that) you need to download your audio device driver from website. If it seem like already installed in your device manager you need uninstall it and your bios turn off the onboard audio. After install your last audio driver. And turn back on from bios.

3. Daniel Ong

Thanks Rock, tried that couldn't find anything that was mentioned.
    I even reformatted my hard disk; have the installer disc by Intel.
    The High Quality Integrated Audio Drivers are greyed out; point at the help icon which said, device either not found or switch off in BIOS. I figured since I have already reformatted the hard disk wouldn't it be switch on by default?

Acquired the audio driver Sigmatel AC 97 v3011 5.10.00.3686 and tried installing...got a "Device Object Not Present, Restart The System and Run Setup Again"

Also have a problem getting into BIOS....pressed F2 and don't seems to work. What should I look for in BIOS?

If all fails should I get a independent sound card?

Please advise. Thanks

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

5. Daniel Ong

Hi win2kpro, thanks for your reply and I have downloaded the driver; attempt to run it and then I got...."Device Object Not Present, Restart The System and Run Setup Again"

Please advise. Thank you

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

Did the audio ever work on this board? If so, after you reformatted the hard drive did you install the Intel chipset driver before any other drivers?

7. Daniel Ong

Yup it was working before.
    And yes, the chipset was the first thing that I installed after reformatting.

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

I'm going to assume that you have a standard Intel D845GVAD2 board, NOT a manufacturer proprietary board. You can check this by accessing BIOS and checking the BIOS string. The BIOS string should be shown when BIOS opens and the first two sections of the BIOS string should be LY84510A.86A. If the first two sections of the BIOS string ARE NOT EXACTLY LY84510A.86A, STOP, you do not have a standard Intel D845GVAD2 board.

If the BIOS string is correct, go to Microsoft and download Windows XP Service Pack 3 and burn it to a CD.

Next go here; http://downloadcenter.intel.com/fil...XP+Home+Edition&lang=eng&strOSs=45&submit=Go! and download the following files and burn them to a CD. Driver # 2, 3, 5 and 6.

If the BIOS string IS LY84510A.86A go to http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm
    download KillDisk and either build a bootable floppy or Bootable CD with KillDisk. The floppy is easiest to make, but if you don't have a floppy drive, you will need to build a bootable CD.

If you build a bootable floppy, before you use it you will need to access BIOS and set your floppy drive as the 1st bootable device, and the CD as the 2nd bootable device, and the hard drive as the 3rd bootable device.

Insert the floppy disk, and restart the machine and it should boot from the floppy you built. Follow the instructions at KillDisk and zero fill your hard drive.

After the hard drive is zero filled, remove the floppy disk and insert your Windows installation disk. Restart the machine and it should boot from the Windows disk. After you start the re-installation of Windows in a couple of spots during the installation you will come to a prompt to "press any key to boot from the CD". At these spots DO NOT press anything and the machine will automatically restart.

After Windows is completely installed, load the XP Service Pack 3 disk, and install XP Service Pack 3.

After XP Service Pack 3 is installed insert the CD you burned with the motherboard drivers and install them as follows. First the chipset driver, then install the other 3 drivers in any order you want, rebooting the machine after each driver is installed.

After Windows, Windows Service Pack 3 and the drivers are installed, go to Microsoft update, and install any hardware drivers shown at Microsoft Update. Install the hardware drivers before you install any of the critical updates.

9. Daniel Ong

Hi win2kpro, went into bios and the version showed LY84510A.86A.0043.P17

What should I do? Thanks

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

It's a standard Intel board so just follow the instructions for zero filling the drive, installing Windows, Service Pack 3, and the drivers.

11. Daniel Ong

Hi win2kpro, tried all those that you said but still the same.
    Now I end up having a irritating error highlight everything I boot up saying ....network error existing name. Thanks

12. Daniel Ong

Hi win2kpro, everytime I boot up it says
    Windows - System Error
    Duplicate Name Exists on the Network.
    Please advise. Thanks

13. win2kpro

win2kpro

Do you have two computers on your network with the same name? If so, change one of the computer's names. Each computer in a network must have a different name.

14. win2kpro

win2kpro

As to the sound problem see if audio is enabled in BIOS. It should be enabled by default unless the default setting has been changed.

Access BIOS and navigate to the audio setting. It is located in a sub-menu that you enter through PERIPHERAL CONFIGURATION. PERIPHERAL CONFIGURATION is listed under the ADVANCED TAB. If audio is disabled, enable it, save and exit BIOS.

Here is the link to your board manual. Section 4 of the board manual explains BIOS set-up.

ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/D845GVAD2/AD2_English.pdf

15. Daniel Ong

Hi win2kpro, thanks for the respond and here's the bad news....>
    Went into BIOS > ADVANCED > PERIHERAL CONFIGURATION and it showed only

Serial Port A [Auto]
    Serial Port B [Auto]
    Parallel Port [Auto]
    Mode [Bi-directional]

And nothing else.
    Please advise. Thanks

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice