1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Audio Device recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mjmVAnc, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mjmVAnc

mjmVAnc Thread Starter

Device Manager tells me that the SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio is working properly. However, the Sounds and Audio Devices properties show "no audio device" and no sound is coming out. I have used the Device Manager to uninstall the audio hardware and rebooted, but the computer is still not recognizing that I have working audio. Any suggestions where I could look in Windows XP for a conflict of information so that I can get audio again?

Prior to this last ditch effort of uninstalling the audio card I tried restoring to an earlier date with no change in the above conflict. I also downloaded and tried installing a driver from the SoundMAX site to no avail.

Thanks.
    Mary Jo

2. Deathhawk

Deathhawk

Try reinstalling your motherboard chipset driver....rebooting and then reinstalling the audio driver..

If you need help post back your mobo specs..

3. mjmVAnc

mjmVAnc Thread Starter

Thanks, Deathhawk. In my anxiety over not being able to work for about 36 hours, I called HP tech support and they had me download Microsoft UAA driver and my sound card driver, installing UAA first. That fixed it, and fortunately I still had warranty left, but I surely thank you for your suggestion as well. The guy told me that it is not an uncommon problem, and it may be a HP thing since the downloads were from the HP site, not Microsoft. I don't know, but you can be sure I won't be downloading audio using that server again since this is from the same audio source I've been downloading from with a different server for about four years now! Again. many, many thanks for your response.
    Mary Jo

4. Deathhawk

Deathhawk

Im glad you solved it...though an idea might be to save those downloads in a folder named "Drivers".. in case you ever need them again!

5. mjmVAnc

mjmVAnc Thread Starter

Well, let's not get too excited here. The problem recurred last night and I spent over an hour loading and reloading drivers to no avail. I would get the sound card back and then try to load the audio onto a player and lose audio. I finally turned the clock WAY back using system restore and was able to work last night. So I'm not sure the HP fix was a fix at all actually!

6. mjmVAnc

mjmVAnc Thread Starter

And I like your suggestion for the back-up. Sounds like it's about time to make another "recovery" disc, huh? I'm in the process of saving those files as we speak. Thanks again for a very wise suggestion.

7. Deathhawk

Deathhawk

would you like to post your motherboard specs just to make sure you have the exact drivers...just in case!

http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

The details are listed under "mainboard"..and your chipset details..

8. vegajoel

vegajoel

I'm having this same problem with "no audio device" in Control Panel/Audio and no sound from speakers. I've recently had to a complete format/install of Windows XP, and at first no sound. Then I download RealTek AC'97 drivers, and the sound worked but "no audio device". Then when I installed Windows Service Pack 2, and then no sound or "audio device". I've tried several other suggestions from various forums, including the "Plug and Play Enumerator" fix, and the "Admin Tools-->Component Svcs-->Svcs (local)--Windows Audio-->automatic/enabled" fix.

Some have suggested drivers from the motherboard manufacturer's website. I've tried to go to VIA.com but none of the motherboards there seem to match mine. Here are my specs:
    Mainboard : MSI PM8M3-V (MS-7211)
    Chipset : VIA P4M800CE
    Processor : Intel Celeron D 331 @ 2666 MHz
    Physical Memory : 512 MB (1 x 512 DDR-SDRAM )
    Video Card : Nvidia Corp GeForce4 MX 4000
    Hard Disk : ST340014A (40 GB)
    Hard Disk : WDC (250 GB)
    CD-Rom Drive : SONY CD-RW CRX195E1
    DVD-Rom Drive : SONY DVD RW DRU-710A
    Monitor Type : Dell Computer DELL E770s - 16 inches
    Network Card : D-Link Inc DFE-528TX/530TX+/538TX Fast Ethernet Adapter (DL 10038C Chipset)
    Network Card : VT82C570 MV IDE Controller VT6102 Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
    DirectX : Version 9.0c

If anyone can offer any suggestions, welcome and thank you for the altruism. Much obliged.

9. catlady13

catlady13

10. vegajoel

vegajoel

Thanks for that link. OK, I downloaded the 4-1 driver and the Realtek audio driver from the MSI website. Restarted both times: Still no sound. Tried the "Plug and Play Enumerator" fix again. Nothing.

I am out of ideas and about to clean install Windows, again.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I seem to have lost sound when I switched from *blank* field to "Windows default" under Sound Scheme of Control Panel->Sounds and Audio Devices->Sounds... The three choices were: a *blank* field, "windows default", and "no sounds"

11. Deathhawk

Deathhawk

When you installed the "4in1" driver....you have to make sure that you reboot before you installed the realtek driver...did you do that?

Install "4IN1" driver...reboot...install ac '97 driver...reboot...

12. vegajoel

vegajoel

yeah, i did that

13. vegajoel

vegajoel

OK, after much toil, I fixed it.

I had to delete all instances of "swenum" from the registry with regedit.
    Then reboot.
    Then I could re-install the plug and play enumerator.
    Then I could re-install the audio driver.
    Reboot, and it recognized it.

WOOOHOOOOOO!

Thanks for everybody's help!!!!

P.s. Windows should have a mo-fo fix for this, dammit.

14. blockie

blockie

For Vegajoe
    Did you just replace the value of swenum or the entire entry.
    I am having the same problem regarding the Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator. It is not operating properly according to the device manager and I have been unable to reinstall it without the yellow warning mark. And I also have "NO AUDIO DEVICE".
    Bill

15. urphonesux

urphonesux

i just installed a sb live value sound card on my computer and before installation i had sound from the built in crystal sound fusion hardware but now there is no sound
    device manager says everything is installed and working perfectly
    ive tried the services adjustment but everything was already enabled and ive went into the enum folder and tried that fix to no avail
    im guessing now i should reinstall the sound drivers for the computer but i dont know which one to use
    any help would be appreciated

pcwizard tells me that my computer has:
    Manufacturer : TriGem Computer, Inc.
    Mainboard : TriGem Computer, Inc. COMO3
    Bios : American Megatrends Inc.
    Chipset : Intel i440LX
    Physical Memory : 144 MB SDRAM
    ISA Bus : Yes
    PCI Bus : Yes
    AGP Bus : Yes
    USB Bus : Yes
    SMBus/i2c Bus : Yes
    Bus HyperTransport : No
    Bus CardBus : No
    Bus FireWire : No

can someone please help me
    thanx!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!