1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Audio from Windows Media Player 11

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stokiemc5, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stokiemc5

stokiemc5 Thread Starter

Hi,

When I play a DVD or MP3 with Windows Media Player 11 (WinXPproSP2) the movie plays but there is no sound. There is audio if I use WinDVD or Real Player so it is not a hardware problem.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I did recently install an MP3 ripper if that helps with any ideas.

Thank you.
    S

2. spdabbs

spdabbs

3. stokiemc5

stokiemc5 Thread Starter

Thanks for coming back to me, spdabbs.
    Installed AC3_Filter codec as suggested. Is there any configuration to be carried out as I'm still getting the same problem.
    Windows Media Player 11 still plays the DVD video and MP3 seems to play, but no audio. Just a click at the start. Both still play perfectly on WinDVD and Real player.
    S

4. spdabbs

spdabbs

Did it work prior to installing the MP3 ripper?

5. stokiemc5

stokiemc5 Thread Starter

Never used WMP11 that much but do remember it working. Not sure if it stopped working after the ripper was installed or some other software. So I tried the following:
    - Uninstalled the ripper and rebooted. Still no audio.
    - Uninstalled WMP11 which rolled back to WMP9. Still no audio.
    - Deleted Audio Codecs from System, reinstalled WMP11 and got it to automatically download codecs when playing. No audio.
    - Now system restored back to start with WMP11 and AC3_Filter. No audio

Have noticed that when I check the Properties on an audio track in WMP11 there are no entries beside the Audio Codec field in the File tab.
    The entries for Audio Codecs for the Sound Controller in Device Manager are:
    imaadp32.acm, msadp32.acm, msg711.acm, msgsm32.acm, tssoft32.acm, msg723.acm, Windows Media Audio, Sipro Lab Telecom, Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3, Indeo audio, Messenger Audio, Microsoft PCM Converter.
    Any thoughts much appreciated.
    S

6. spdabbs

spdabbs

While it's not going to answer the question of why WMP doesn't do the audio, it would solve the problem - you could try installing FFDShow and get that to handle the audio. I must confess I'm a bit baffled as to why all you've tried hasn't resolved the issue.

7. stokiemc5

stokiemc5 Thread Starter

Will just have to default files to use WinDVD and Real Player. Thanks spdabbs for your help.
    S.

8. Terrilan

Terrilan

I started having the same problem on my Lenovo IBM ThinkPad sometime within the last week.

I noticed that if, immediately following boot-up, I can hear sound from a WMV file that only contains audio. However, if I try to listen to a WMV file or any video file that contains both video and audio, then the visual will display without any sound. After trying to play the video file, the WMV file that only contains audio will no longer play (it gives an error message that claims the audio hardware is not properly installed).

9. stokiemc5

stokiemc5 Thread Starter

Hi Terrilan, spdabbs.
    Because I wanted to stick with WMP's ripping and burning style I decided to install Microsoft's latest Zune software, www.zune.net/en-us/meetzune/software.htm which is basically the same as WMP11 but with a slightly altered layout. It does not play DVDs.
    Just changed the file type associations in Zune by clicking Options - Playback - More Options - File Types tab and ticking WMA and WMV. Also changed Rip folder from My Music - Zune to just My Music.
    Zune uses the same libraries as WMP11 and now plays all audio and video files as normal. All the best.
    S.

10. spdabbs

spdabbs

Excellent! (Dumb M$ proggies! LOL)

11. prn4u

prn4u

I downloaded the AC3 codec and now all video files play with sound. Wish I'd found this site sooner....

12. kenlyle

kenlyle

Was getting no sound from WMVs on either RealPlayer or Media Player. AC_Filter fixes it.

Thanks!
    K

13. Schnarpsel

Schnarpsel

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Have been plagued by no sound for months, could never figure out what the problem was. The AC3 filter fixed them all!!! I am deliriously happy right now :)

14. 2trees

2trees

Wel lhere goes. Have installed further copy AC3, as suggested, NG. WMP 11 only upgraded yesterday from 10 (no problem with A/V). Just trying to keep upto date.On finding problem my GSpot advised me all Codecs for both A/V installed. The DVD played satisfactorally with Videolan, Nero and RealPlayer and on TV. Do I therefore revert back to WMP10,but hate to be beaten.Why Oh. why do MS mess us about ? http://images.techguy.org/smilies/mad.gif
    :mad:

15. 2trees

2trees

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/560823

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice