Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"No audio output device installed" and no sound

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  jharding 
#1 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 32637 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, -1984 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 5575 GB (2167 GB Free); D: 11 GB (1 GB Free); G: 5575 GB (40 GB Free); J: 11 GB (1 GB Free); O: 3725 GB (1313 GB Free);
Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, 2AD5
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hp support Letter - 7-16-218 - After the peer to peer expert had no answer that worked. Is there a way of disabling the defective device somewhere, possibly bios so that I can get some sound working

HP letter - "No audio output device installed". 7-11-2018 - My computer.

Hewlett-Packard h8-1417c 1.00

System Serial Number: MXX2390D68

Product #: H3Z18AA#ABA

Enclosure Type: Desktop

My 1st letter: Error message: No audio output device installed.

Experience: I have been using computers since 1983 with the first XT.

I have significant experience repairing and upgrading my computers.

Solutions tried: I have exhausted the many ways to fix device driver problems. (Usually it is an easy fix).

I have also tried 3 different USB devices designed to replace sound cards that have failed.

Previous similar problem: In the first year of owing this new HP the Audio failed. Because the Audio was soldered to the system board I had to return the computer to HP for repairing.

Questions:

1. Because the audio is soldered to the system board what are my repair options?

2. Is there a slot where a new sound card could be installed, and would that work with the former defective part soldered to the system board? If so recommended audio card?

3. Is there a way to disconnect or unsolder the old sound device from the system board?

4. Is there a workaround using the USB audio card replacements I have?

5. Is there a workaround using any other devices?

6. Any other possible repair options?

Peer to peer from Expert:

Re: audio is soldered on system board and "no audio output device installed"

Options. ‎07-12-2018 07:31 AM

Hi:

The 1st thing to do is to completely rule out a software/driver issue.

Since that model is not supported by HP for W10, and it has the IDT integrated audio, 90% of the time the sound quits working either when you first upgrade to W10, or on subsequent updates to W10.

Go to the device manager, and if the audio hardware is working, there should be a Sound, video and game controllers device manager category.

Click to expand that category and there should be an IDT HD audio device listed there and a nVidia HD audio device listed there. (NONE). Or if the onboard audio driver isn't installed, there should be a generic HD Audio device listed there, and a nVidia HD audio device listed there. (NONE LISTED UNLESS HIDDEN DEVICES SHOWN)

If you see such a configuration, see if installing this W10 IDT audio driver and restarting the PC, resolves the problem. (It did not)

This package provides the IDT Tempo High Definition Audio Driver for supported desktop models that are running a supported operating system.

File name: sp71717.exe - (DIDN'T WORK)

If you don't see an IDT HD audio device or a generic audio device along with the nVidia HD audio device, then yes, the onboard audio chip has died on you. (THIS MUST BE TRUE)

Repair options:

1. Replace the motherboard --probably the most expensive option, and you would need to argue with HP/Microsoft to get a new license for Windows. Windows will ask to be activated if the motherboard is replaced. (NOT DONE)

2. Connect your PC to a TV with a HDMI port, via the graphics card's HDMI port, and get sound via the TV's speakers. (NOT DONE)

(I have done all of the following repair options but still no sound)

3.*** If you have a monitor with a HDMI port and built in speakers, that would work too. *****(DONE - I PURCHASED AND INSTALLED - Does not work.)

4. Purchase an inexpensive PCIe x1 audio card. Your PC's motherboard has available PCIe x1 slots to install an audio card in. *****(DONE - I PURCHASED AND INSTALLED-does not work).

5. Purchase an external USB audio adapter to plug the speaker jack into. Such as this one... *****(DONE - I PURCHASED 3 different ones designed to replace the sound card AND INSTALLED them individually-but no sound).

(Example he gave is one of the ones I purchased: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid...)

Options tried.

‎07-15-2018 10:47 PM - My answers of what I tried.

1. No audio device showed confirming "no audio output device installed."

2. I already had tried the USB audio adapter that you recommended and 2 others and could not make them work either. (All of my other USB devices work fine).

3. I installed a Sound Blaster Audigy Fx sound card. It shows in the sound devices but does not work. I have the Windows 10 drivers but am unable to install them as it claims "there is no appropriate device for them".

4. I purchased an HP VH240a monitor (23 inch) with speakers and HDMI connection but am unable to get those speakers to work either. (I have video but no sound.)

5. Since there is absolutely "no audio output device detected" is the defective device on my computer preventing any progress being made.

6. *****Is there a way of disabling the defective device somewhere, possibly bios so that I can get some sound working? (He was not able to help here). Please note: within the HP BIOS UEFI services I was able to successfully run the Audio test and received sound through the headset out of the top external plugin for headset.

7. Any other suggestions are appreciated. I have worked 8 days trying to solve this problem which is unusually long for me.

PEER TO PEER EXPERT 2nd reply: Re: audio is soldered on system board and "no audio output device installed" Options - ‎07-16-2018 06:55 AM -

****** Unfortunately, I have no other ideas for you to try.

As far as the BIOS setting, since I don't have your model PC, I don't know what the available settings are.

On my PC's there isn't any audio setting in the BIOS to enable or disable.

My reply: HP letter - No audio output device installed. 7-11-2018 -

My System was listed this way initially:

Hewlett-Packard h8-1417c 1.00

System Serial Number: MXX2390D68

Product #: H3Z18AA#ABA

Enclosure Type: Desktop

Options - ‎07-16-2018 07:45 AM

Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1803 (build 17134.165) Install Language: English (United States) System Locale: English (United States) Installed: 5/5/2018 10:06:52 PM Servicing Branch: Current Branch (CB) Boot Mode: UEFI with successful Secure Boot - Hewlett-Packard h8-1417c 1.00

Hewlett-Packard h8-1417c 1.00 - My computer.

System Serial Number: MXX2390D68 Asset Tag: MXX2390D68 Enclosure Type: Desktop 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3770 256 kilobyte primary memory cache 1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache 8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache 64-bit ready Multi-core (4 total) Hyper-threaded (8 total)

Board: PEGATRON CORPORATION 2AD5 1.03 Serial Number: 1234567890123456 Bus Clock: 100 megahertz UEFI: AMI 8.18 03/18/2013

BIOS EUFI settings:

I went into Bios UEFI. Original Audio Setting was disabled

I changed the settings to enabled and no change.

"I guess it makes sense that if there is "no audio output installed" that it can neither be enabled nor disabled?". Still

Please note: within the HP BIOS UEFI services I was able to successfully run the Audio test and received sound through the headset out of the top external plugin for headset.

Question is: is there a way of fixing this problem so that I can get sound besides a new system board or new computer?

Thank you for your help.

James Harding

Hardingjim59@cs.com - (formerly hardingjim@cs.com )

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you tried to do a clean reinstall of windows 10?

Since that model is not supported by HP for W10, and it has the IDT integrated audio, 90% of the time the sound quits working either when you first upgrade to W10, or on subsequent updates to W10.
So its not compatible with Win10, so it will not work anyways.

#3 ·
You can try to, if you havent already:

1. Check Windows Audio Endpoint Builder and Windows Audio Services and enable if they are disabled.

2Give a try to Enable, disable, uninstall the driver from device manager one after another succeeding with a reboot each time.

2 Run playing audio troubleshooter.

3. Run SFC /Scannow if above methods fail (to fix Possible registry key corrupt).

4. You can navigate to HP Driver webpage, type model number of your device in the present box, press Find button, locate, and download the appropriate Sound driver.

#4 ·
You are using an old video card anyway that is not very compatible with Windows 10. Therefore, the best option might be to purchase a new video card with audio and use it instead of the onboard audio.

Reactions: AmateurJohn
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.