1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Audio Output Device Installed error.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by wadders, Sep 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wadders

wadders Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm hoping someone may be able to help me, and if so, will receive my eternal thanks :)

About 2 months ago, all of a sudden my sound stopped working on my laptop - yet the speaker icon in the bottom right of the toolbar was still showing itself as working. Occasionally, when I would re-start my computer, the sound would work. But then 'randomly' go off again after half an hour or so.

After a week or so of this, the speaker symbol then changed to one with a red cross and the message "No Audio Output Device is Installed". Again, for a few weeks, this would appear intermittently. Sometimes I would have sound. Sometimes I would not have sound but the speaker symbol would be ok. And sometimes I would have no sound and the speaker symbol would be the one with the red cross.

For the past couple of weeks now though, all I see is the speaker with the red cross and the same 'No Audio Output.." message.

I'm at a loss as to how to get my speakers back.
    - I've tried a System Restore to before all the issues started, but that didn't work.
    - I've tried installing the appropriate soundcard driver, which didn't work (but admittedly, I didn't really know what i was doing, so may have made a mistake here).
    - I've tried the odd online cleanup program, but to no avail either.

Finally, within Device Manager, the sound card doesn't even exist anymore.

Any thoughts on what I need to do to get my sound back? Many many thanks in advance,
    Regards,
    Simon

2. razorwing

razorwing Banned

3. Spawny

Spawny

Try completely uninstalling the audio from device manager. Then reboot if the audio chipset is still good then Windows will reinstall it.

Have you installed any codec packs?

Can you tell us what Windows OS are you running also some specs will help.
    Hope this helps.

4. wadders

wadders Thread Starter

Hey Razorwing, thanks for replying.
    I have created a screenshot of the device manager but am unsure how to attach to this post? Please advise :)

Hi Spawny - thanks also for replying. I have posted in the Windows Vista forum as I have Windows Vista on my laptop :) Do you need more specific specs? Please let me know what you need. As for the Device Manager, I tried to mention in my previous post that sound is not even present on it, therefore I cannot uninstall it.

Nope, I cannot remember installing any codecs for a while now.

Happy to answer all questions - if you need any more info, please let me know.
    Thanks,

5. razorwing

razorwing Banned

6. wadders

wadders Thread Starter

7. wadders

wadders Thread Starter

Any thoughts all?

8. wadders

wadders Thread Starter

I'm happy to provide any information needed - but rather than just sprouting random information that I'm not sure is relevant or not, please advise. There must be someone that can help - I have genuinely read over posts on this same issue, but have yet to resolve it.

Thank you.

9. wadders

wadders Thread Starter

Razor, Spawny - nothing from you guys? Even a 'No, sorry' would be appreciated so I know to look elsewhere rather than leaving me blank.

Thanks.

10. razorwing

razorwing Banned

Sounds like a hardware issue the only way to find out that I know of would be to reformat sorry bout not getting back to you.!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!