1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no audio output device installed

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by jrdavid, Oct 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrdavid

jrdavid Thread Starter

When I turn on my computer I have a red X on the speaker and it states NO OUTPUT AUDIO DEVICES INSTALLED.
    If I shutdown and reboot my computer I get my sound back. I am using the HDMI to my TV.
    This started about 3 weeks ago.I've updated my drivers and that didn't work.
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate , Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3034 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) G45/G43 Express Chipset, 1293 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 698557 MB; H: Total - 953805 MB, Free - 792032 MB; I: Total - 305242 MB, Free - 91550 MB;
    Motherboard: Intel Corporation, DG45ID, AAE27729-308, AZID844005ZL
    Antivirus: Norton AntiVirus Online, Updated and Enabled

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Audio out to the speakers or through HDMI to the TV? If it's through the HDMI cable, then you need to update the video drivers.

As for the error, it typically means Windows can't see the hardware. When the problem occurs, check Device Manager and see if the audio chipset (whichever chipset you are using) is listed. If not, the hardware is likely faulty.

3. jrdavid

jrdavid Thread Starter

When it happens I go to device manager and there is no audio showing. I did a repair start up with the windows disc in and I got my sound.I will check it tomorrow and see if I have sound. If I don't have sound then I will upgrade my video drivers. In fact I will do that anyways. I will let you know what happens. Thank You.

4. jrdavid

jrdavid Thread Starter

I installed the latest audio and video driver updates last knight and still no audio this morning. No audio output devices installed.
    I'm tempted to reinstall windows7. The bad part is I'll lose everything.

5. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Which output are you using for audio (the audio chipset or the HDMI chipset)?

If it was simply a driver issue, the audio chipset would still be listed in Device Manager. The audio chipset not being listed is typically an indication of a hardware issue (ie: faulty hardware).

6. jrdavid

jrdavid Thread Starter

I'm using the HDMI output. I've updated my audio and video.I logged onto Intel's web site and downloaded and installed the latest updates. Nothing has worked.

7. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    All of my experience has been with addon video cards with HDMI outputs (which use a separate audio chipset on the video card for the HDMI port). As you are using a all-on-one board, it is likely using the same audio chipset for both.

Having said all of that, check Device Manager. Is the audio chipset listed?

If no, ensure the audio chipset is enabled in the BIOS. If it is enabled and not listed in Device Manager, it's likely faulty. ALL functional hardware should be listed in Device Manager (drivers do NOT effect hardware being listed...drivers only effect the hardware being used).

If yes, then check the audio chipset configuration. It will need to be set as the default audio device, and you will likely need to select the HDMI port as the output device.

8. jrdavid

jrdavid Thread Starter

I got into the BIOS and the audio is enabled.
    I go to device manager and the audio is not listed.If I restart the computer the sound will be there.I go to device manager and the audio will be listed.I'm thinking of reinstalling windows7 again hoping that will work.

9. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    An OS issue is possible, but more likely would be a hardware issue (ie: faulty audio chipset).

10. jrdavid

jrdavid Thread Starter

I did install a sata card and removed it because it didn't work and that could be when I started having problems.I don't remember what the software was that might have loaded or what it is called.I'll have to go to the store and see if I can locate the card and see if I can see what it is called and try to find it in device manager to uninstall it.

11. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    If the card is no longer installed, then it won't be listed in Device Manager. Any software that may have been installed will (should) be listed in Add and Remove programs.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1021785

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice