1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Audio Output Device Is Installed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LadyBlahBlah, Jan 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LadyBlahBlah

LadyBlahBlah Thread Starter

Hi,
    I've been having an on-off problem with my Vista 32-bit computer for about a year now. It happened after I changed the language system locale on my computer from English (UK) to English (US); changing it back to English (UK) didn't solve the issue.
    The problem is, sometimes the audio won't work and I get the 'No Audio Output Device Is Installed' message over my speaker icon. I haven't got a clue why the problem isn't constant, sometimes when I switch on the computer the sound is fine, and other times, it isn't working. There have been loads periods where the sound works fine for months so I assume the problem has fixed itself, but then the audio doesn't work again one day.

The problem seems to have come back again now and has been happening on-off for about a month now. I tried reinstalling SoundMAX when the audio was working yesterday (it never allowed me to install it when the audio was off) and managed to get it installed. I thought this would solve the issue, but today I turned on the computer and the sound was dead again, accompanied by a message that said something along the lines of 'Your audio configuration has changed, you must reinstall SoundMAX'. I tried doing that, but it says the files don't support my computer.

I should also note that I've tried most of the solutions on google, like going into device manger and enabling the sound drive, but the 'Sound, Video and Game Controllers' tab doesn't even exist in DM when the audio is dead.

It's all very mysterious as to why my sound is doing this, I've tried scanning my system for malware & viruses as well and removed all of the viruses it did fine, didn't fix the audio.
    I'm at a loss at what to do here, the only thing I can think of is that the audio/sound card is faulty.

I would add an attachment of speccy of my computer's specs, but I don't currently have access to my PC (on another comp at the moment). However, I'll attach a file later if it's needed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: In reply to Oddba11, alright, will do. My audio is currently working so I didn't see the point in posting a new message in this thread, but as soon as the audio dies again, I'll have a look in device manager.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    When the problem occurs, check Device Manager and see if the audio chipset is listed. If it's listed, it could simply be a driver issue. Try updating/reinstalling the audio drivers. If it's not listed, most likely it's a hardware fault (ie: faulty audio chipset). The language change is likely just a coincidence.

3. LadyBlahBlah

Just switched on my PC and my audio has decided to die again. I've had a look in Device Manager, but to be honest, I'm not sure what to look for. I actually didn't have a look in DM when the sound was working so I am not sure what was listed there now before the sound died, stupid of me I know. The only thing that I know is missing is the 'Sound, Video and Game Controllers' tab as usual.

I'm not sure if it helps, but I've attached a log with my computer's specs in it.
    I don't have a lot of time on the computer now so when I get online again later, I'll see if the audio is working again (or not) and what the differences are in DM.

Attached Files:

4. LadyBlahBlah

Audio's dead again after restarting my PC. I've checked device manager and 'High Definition Audio Controller' is still there under System Devices, which is the closest thing I can see to a sound card/chip. I apologise for being a bit naive with this, but I don't have a great deal of knowledge with computers.

I've tried reinstalling SoundMAX though, and that obviously doesn't seem to have fixed the issue. I was wondering if one of those external USB sound cards that you can buy would benefit me...?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1037330

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice