1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Audio Output Device is installed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phillycj, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Phillycj

Phillycj Thread Starter

I've been having this problem since Christmas, and I still can't solve it. I have no audio devices installed, according to my PC. It started when I changed oyt a 512 MB stick of RAM for 2 x 2GB sticks/when I installed a new Buffalo External Hard Drive. After installation of both, the sound mysteriously went (On XP SP2 or 3 (forget which) at the time). I had some Realtek Driver at the time, and that vanished too. I have tried reinstalling all Realtek audio drivers and codecs for my OS (pre and post upgrade to W7). I've tried reenabling it in my BIOS, but I'm not sure where to check for it there. I tried upgrading to Windows 7 (which is why I decided to upgrade my RAM in the first place). I've ran diagnostics to no avail and I've also tried various driver programs. Does anybody know the solution to my problem?

My DxDiag report and relevant screenshots will be attached.

Attached Files:

2. DreadStorm

DreadStorm

First Name:
    Wayne
    Any number of things can be the cause. Typically, it's either disabled in the BIOS, or you're suffering from hardware failure. Let's assume it's disabled.

Almost every BIOS is different, depending on the motherboard. You'd have to look into such areas as "I/O Devices" or "Peripheral Devices" depending on what the maker calls them. Don't be afraid to browse around - just don't change anything unless you're sure. Just look for something that has the word "Audio" in one of them. If it is indeed enabled, then you're looking at either hardware failure, or too many interrupts are shared, and some devices are taking resources away from it, preventing it from working properly.

For hardware failure, you're looking at two things: a) Get a cheap $10 sound card. Problem solved - for now. b) Problem solved for now because, when something integrated on the motherboard fails, a snowball effect is inevitable and other things will eventually begin failing.

Look into those three things first, and see what happens.

3. Phillycj

Phillycj Thread Starter

I've been poking around in the BIOS for a few weeks now, still can't find anything. If it helps, my BIOS is Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

I'm fairly certain it isn't a hardware failure seeing as it happened immediately after installing more RAM/installing drivers for an External Hard Drive.

4. DreadStorm

DreadStorm

First Name:
    Wayne
    Look first at the drivers for the external drive, then. Remove them (and disconnect the drive) and see if sound comes back.

I'm 99% certain that the memory has nothing to do with it, but I'm keeping that in the back of my head for now.

5. Phillycj

Phillycj Thread Starter

The only way I think the memory has to do with it is if I hit something while installing it. I think I didn't hit anything, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

6. DreadStorm

DreadStorm

First Name:
    Wayne
    The thought in the back of my head was to re-seat the RAM in their sockets. Just use the levers to pop them out, then push them back in. It's rare, very rare indeed, that RAM would be the problem...but not unheard of. Improperly seated RAM can prevent a board from even POSTing, much less booting. So when you go inside, look around for switches and jumpers, and see if any are close enough to be modified during installation.

7. Phillycj

Phillycj Thread Starter

I have made sure the RAM is seated properly, Windows recognizes both sticks.

8. DreadStorm

DreadStorm

First Name:
    Wayne
    Then we know it's not the RAM. If you indeed bump something, chances are high it has nothing to do with audio - and likely is harmless to boot, since the audio circuits are typically on the opposite side of the board from the RAM.

Go with complete un-installation and removal of the new HDD, and see where that goes. This is where I'm leaning.

9. Phillycj

Phillycj Thread Starter

Uninstalled the drivers for the HDD, nothing. I've uninstalled the non-functioning sound drivers that I already installed, I'll reinstall those and try again.

10. Phillycj

Phillycj Thread Starter

Finished, nothing.

11. DreadStorm

DreadStorm

First Name:
    Wayne
    Okay. Unfortunately, this leaves me with the hardware failure assumption. I would suggest trying to install a pinko sound card, to test with. If Windows recognizes the card, use that for the time being. If it does not, then there's another batch of things we can try.

12. replay

replay

what is the make/model of your computer???
    did u try a windows update (sometimes it will find the driver) u mention upgrading to windows 7 (is there a audio driver for win 7???)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089536

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice