no audio output device is installed

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bammmbammm

I have a Gateway MX6426 laptop. I upgraded, (new install), from W$ xp to W$ Vista. I mouse over the speaker icon, which has an X through it, it states, "no audio output device is installed". I'm certain that this is a driver issue. When I look in the device manager, I have no directory listing for "sound, video and game controllers". In listing labeled, "other devices", the Mass Storage Controller, and the Multimedia Audio Controller are listed with no driver, (a yellow exclamation point).
I have looked for updated drivers, and found out about the missing sound folder while I was searching.
Also, I went into regedit, on my desktop, and exported the sound files from there, (same OS), copied to thumb, installed on gateway, hoping to create the directory. NOPE
I dont know what else to do, HELPMEPLEEZ.
Thank you,
Billy

Bammmbammm

http://www.driverupdate.net/ free version on left of page you need driver and software package

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/search.asp?param=MX6426&st=kw bottom of page

ensure its actually turned on either via a button or even in bios ( several bios updates for your comp it seams also suggest you look in case this is a reson i had to update bios going from xp to vista
You're talking about the bios drivers, right? Did that. I updated all the drivers.
I found at RealTek.com, the codecs, which has installed the "sound, video and game controllers" folder back into the device manager. So now I have in 1) "sound, video and game controllers", >Realtek AC'97 audio< with failed install. 2) "other", >mass storage controller< with failed install.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online