1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"No audio output device is installed"

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by frustratedfish, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frustratedfish

frustratedfish Thread Starter

I received my Acer Aspire One notebook with Windows 7 Starter last year for Christmas. Not a week later, the sound would spontaneously stop working, often while I was in the middle of listening to music in Winamp. For a few days, restarting would fix the problem immediately, but then it stopped working entirely.

The speaker icon in the lower right is covered with a red X symbol, and hovering the mouse over it I get the message "No audio output device is installed."

Googling the problem found me lots of forum topics about similar issues on Windows 7, Vista, and XP, but most of those were solved by going into the device manager, finding the Sound, Video, and Game Controllers option, and disabling then enabling the sound card. But I tried that, and that option is not even listed in my device manager. If I go to Control Panel > Sound, the Playback tab just says "No audio devices installed". It's as if my computer forgot it had speakers. Of course, headphones don't work either.

I tried system restoring and eventually reinstalling. Sometimes the problem would resolve on a restart and work fine, and when that happened the device appeared where it belonged and I updated the drivers. But on the next restart, the problem happened again. I figured out how to flash the BIOS, and it still didn't work.

About a month later the problem went away again and didn't come back. But now, five more months later, it seems to be back again for good. If I open Winamp and try to play a song, I get a message saying "Bad DirectSound driver. Please install proper drivers or select another device in configuration."

Any ideas? I can't seem to find anything online I haven't tried yet.

2. vicks

vicks

Welcome to TSG forums.
    First thing I suggest is: go into device manager, right click on sound, video....controlers, click on properties, remove. Immediately reboot the computer and let Windows find/reinstall the controller....
    Since the machine only 5 months old, contact Acer and see if it will be covered under warranty....
    If you will provide the model name and number it will make it easier for us to help you.
    You also, might go into the Acer support and download the latest driver for your machine.
    You call this a Notebook, yet it has Win 7 Starter, I thought that OS was usually used on net books? It is quite a bit different than Windows home....
    Vicks

3. frustratedfish

Unfortunately, I don't have that option at all in my device manager. It isn't there to click on, so I can't remove it.

I will contact Acer if I can't figure this out soon, and I've downloaded and installed the drivers before. The model number is 532h-2254.

And I guess it is a netbook, I don't know much about computers -- I'm not even sure of the difference! Thanks for replying.

4. frustratedfish

Any other opinions? I'm a little hesitant to contact Acer just because of how many things they'll ask me to try that I've already gone through, and the fact that flashing the BIOS supposedly voids the warranty, but it's looking like I might be out of options.

5. vicks

vicks

6. frustratedfish

I've downloaded and installed that driver several times before, but I went ahead and did it again and the problem did not change. Any other suggestions?

7. lhorner2

lhorner2

I was having the same problem with mine - "no audio output device is installed" and the usual fix that was posted (to go into device manager) did not work as my Sound option had disappeared! I tried rolling back my registry and determined it was not an issue with that or Windows update, then remembered I recently updated my Adobe Flash player! After uninstalling that and restarting my computer, my sound was all back up and working, so try that! Even if not Adobe Flash player, try uninstalling anything you have updated recently and restart, then see if that works.

After uninstalling the Flash player, I got the old (working) plugin from here

Alternatively, for the full player, go here

Hope this helps

8. frustratedfish

Thanks for the tip, it wasn't my Flash player, but I'm playing around with a few other programs now to see if that works. I know it's not Windows Update since I had it set not to update because of this problem, so hopefully it's another program.

9. lhorner2

lhorner2

Ok so uninstalling my Flash player only worked temporarily. I began to wonder whether it was a problem with the chipset driver, but that didn't fix it so I turned my laptop off and decided to go into the BIOS. I performed a memory and hard disk test, then reset the BIOS to factory settings and that seems to have fixed it for now, but I'm not sure how long that will last!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/996305

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice