1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no audio, re-installing drivers does nothing.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by knights, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. knights

knights Thread Starter

Hello everybody!

Ok, so a couple days ago i turn on my computer and bam no audio. Clicking on the little sound icon only shows "No audio output device installed". double clicking on it brings up a msdt.exe that only leads to an error "0x80070490". Because my sound is connected through HDMI connected from my graghics card to my tv and then out through an external speaker system, i simply unplug the speaker's cord from my tv and plug it into the output on the back of my computer and it started working again back to normal. However a day later it completely stopped working again.

So of course i scour the internet for help, i uninstall and re-install the drivers to no avail through device manager. "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus" as it is called in my device manager (there is two of them actually, the other being my NVIDIA drivers that i uninstalled out of desperation) shows a yellow exclamation mark and brings up a (Code 1) "device not configured properly".

Whatever happened also managed to add an exclamation point next to my cd/dvd drive and plug and play software device enumerator as well. Using the same logic as i did trying to fix the audio drivers actually worked on my cd drive but the plug and play device completely disappeared and cannot re install it. I tried deleting ExcludeFromSelect=* line in the machine.inf file and then adding new hardware, selecting the hardware to install, have disk, but "plug and play software device enumerator" isnt there. "plug and play BIOS" looked close but that wouldn't download.

I even found the drivers disk that came with my computer and re-installed all of those with nothing. I can't system restore because i have no restore points, i tried windows refresh but being on windows 8.1 and because windows came pre-installed on my system i cannot do that. i have a friend who is very tech savvy who is gonna take a look at it tomorrow i'll let you know if he has anything valuable to say.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4430 CPU @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 12205 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 926629 MB, Free - 41036 MB;
    Motherboard: LENOVO,
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The 904.91 GB capacity hard drive in your computer has only 40.07 GB of free space and is over 95% full.

Besides the risk of permanently losing all your personal data if Windows crashes or the hard drive dies, a too-full hard drive can cause various issues.

----------------------------------------------------------

3. knights

knights Thread Starter

Hmm interesting, would lowering it help my situation you think?

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    It was just something I wanted to make you aware of.

Your "very tech-savvy friend" may agree with me, and hopefully will resolve your audio issues.

----------------------------------------------------------

5. knights

knights Thread Starter

Even though I'm at 95% capacity 40 GB isn't enough of a buffer?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No. That is 4% of a 1TB drive. While it may or may not be a cause of your problem, you need a larger hd OR remove some items. If this data is important to you, you make backups; then txf/move the files.

7. knights

knights Thread Starter

It seems like it would be a hardware failure to me

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As I said, it may well be a hardware failure however running with 4% free space is just asking to lose your files. If you value this data, you make multiple backups AND you have a hd with no more than 80% used space.

9. knights

knights Thread Starter

I'm just gonna go buy a new sound card and another hard drive

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Before you install the driver for your new sound card, be sure to disable the onboard sound sound. Once you install the new sound card, you may have to select the sound card as the output rather than the nvidia sound that is part of the nvidia video card.

11. knights

knights Thread Starter

How do I do that? Through windows services? Or would I uninstall the old sound drivers

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I would wait for your friend to look at that computer before you spend money for nothing or do something that will make it non-functional or lose all your personal data.

-----------------------------------------------------------

13. knights

knights Thread Starter

We already talked about it I'm going to buy a sound card now

14. knights

knights Thread Starter

I installed the sound card and still getting no sound

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The following assumes you are using onboard sound.

Ok, there is a proper way and an incorrect way to install a sound card. To do it properly, do as follows;
    1 With old sound still installed, uninstall ALL software based on your old sound ie driver, any mixing software, etc. Do not reboot, tell it later.
    2 Shutdown and install your new card.
    3 Restart however do not let windows boot. Enter the bios and disable your onboard sound. Save settings and restart.
    4 Let windows fully boot and cancel any "found new hardware wiz" Install the latest sound driver for your card [download the driver from the support page for the sound card] The driver disk will usually have out of date drivers. It does not make all that much difference with something simple like a sound card however with a video card, chipset drivers, etc; the latest driver is generally recommended.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice