1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Audio

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mustang19, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mustang19

mustang19 Thread Starter

I'm a beginner - Suddenly lost all audio - "speaker" icon on tool bar vanished - control panel/sounds & audio devices/volume tab - says"no audio device" - I get the sounds of Windows XP starting but thats it...no music,video, games sound - when playing a game screen says "exe_err_mss_init_failed_mp" also "no active mixer devices available" -computer less than one year old - any ideas ?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Right-click My Computer, manage, Device manager. What do you see under Sound?

3. mustang19

mustang19 Thread Starter

I right clicked /my computer/manage/device manager - under "sound,video & game controllers I got :

audio codes
    legacy audio driver
    legacy video capture device
    media control device
    realtek hi def audio
    video codecs

I clicked each one / "all devices working properly"

Any ideas ?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Run PCWizard. Click the Multimedia icon (musical note and speaker). What does it say for "Device Audio", "Audio Playback", and "Audio Recording"?

5. mustang19

mustang19 Thread Starter

Ok... PC Wizard shows under "Device Audio" - 828016(ICH7 Family) Hi Definition Audio

There was no "Audio Playback" or "Audio Recording" in the list.

What next ? I appreciate your help!

6. otzi

otzi

you can install driver card sound ::)

7. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Is there any devices in Device Manager (from Elvandil's post) with a yellow mark next to them, or a red cross?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Go to the Sounds, etc. applet in Control Panel. What is listed as Default Device in the boxes? Can you change these?

Have you made any changes to BIOS settings?

From PCWizard, what mainboard/chipset do you have (or any other information that may help identify your sound, such as make/model of computer, if the sound is original equipment)?

Try going back into Device Manager and right-clicking "realtek hi def audio" and "Legacy Audio Device". Choose to remove them and reboot the machine to see what is detected on boot.

9. mustang19

mustang19 Thread Starter

Audio tab of "Sounds & Audio Devices Properties" - Sound Playback ...no playback devices -Sound Recording ... no recording devices - MIDI Music Playback ... no midi playback devices ----- all are in "ghost" mode - can't access volume or advanced button.

No changes to BIOS settings .......

10. mustang19

mustang19 Thread Starter

Negative - no yellow marks or red crosses.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you tried removing the devices and rebooting?

12. Carey934

Carey934

When was your sound working last? Has anything been installed or removed or changed since then?

13. brooksy

brooksy Banned

as to what evil has said i think the best option is to uninstall the sound drivers

Device manager->sounds,videos and game controllers>Right click on realtek hi def audio
    >click uninstall and then reboot the computer.

When the computer restarts it will automatically detect the sound card and re-install the driver.

Let me know if this helps....

14. johnnydeborde

johnnydeborde

Ive been having what seems to be the same problem. Ive done everything I can find online and I still get nothing. Under my device manager>sound, video and game controllers there is just an icon for Audio Codecs, legacy audio drivers, legacy video capture devices, media control devices, and video codecs. Whenever I right click on them and view their properties it says that there all working properly. Ive tried installing new drivers but they don't seem to do anything. The speaker icon is also missing in the bottom right hand corner. and when ever i go to start>control panel>sounds and audio devices everything is grayed out and says "no playback devices." If there is anything anyone can do to help please tell me. I would really like to get to listen to some music.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542764

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice