1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Auto Shutdown!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Wishing Bubble, Jun 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wishing Bubble

Wishing Bubble Thread Starter

I had Windows ME on my computer and had nothing but problems, invalid shutdowns, blue screens, etc etc... so I bit the bullet and obtained WindowsXP. Loaded it up fine, everything went great, it's running great but....

When I had OS windows 98se and windows ME, when it came to shutting down, the pc would power down and switch off itself, I didn't have to press the button at the "it's now safe to switch off your computer" Since I upgraded to windowsXP I now have to manually switch off the pc.

I did post this thread in the Hardware section but had no joy, any Windows XP users can you help, has anyone got this problem? I keep forgetting to switch the pc off, I got so used to clicking shutdown and then walking away.....

Can anyone tell me why the change and how can I get my auto shutdown back?

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Goto your ControlPanel and click on the PowerOptions icon, then click on the APM tab. Is "Enable Advanced ..." selected? If not, select it.

Let us know what happens.

BTW, the other thing to check for is the driver for the APM System Devices. Right click on MyComputer, select Properties>Hardware>DeviceManager. Do you see any yellow exclamation marks?

3. wedor

wedor

Bryan's correct about that. But....I have had this problem, if the BIOS is on XP's "bad" list it may not work, I tried manually enabling like Bryan said and when I shutdown it goes into a loop and restarts instead. It just doesn't work with some boards. So try his suggestion, maybe it will work for you.

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Wedor, thanks for the input .... If that's the case try going to the motherboard makers site and checking for an updated APM driver for Windows XP. Hopefully the MB maker has posted an updated APM driver to address the issue.

5. wedor

wedor

Hmmm... I'll have to try that for the ones I'm having trouble with. I have some Tyan 1598's that have this problem, never thought of going that route, thanks for the idea.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If the motherboard does not use an xp “Approved version of ACPI” you may need to go into device manager > show hidden devices. From there check and see if NT Legacy APM support is enabled if not try enabling and see if that works for you.
    I have had to do this on several computers where the owner did not want ACPI enabled.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/84321

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice