1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"No Battery" Flashlight Ruined My Moniter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Battygurl, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Battygurl

Battygurl Thread Starter

This just happened, I was given a shake flashlight to generate light "tye"flashlight. I placed it by my monitor and it changed the color in blobs all over.. ERR! I am trying to find the company of the flashlight. It says jetco on the flashlight.
    My monitor is permanently damaged isn't it?

2. Dan S

Dan S

Yeah i'm pretty sure your monitor is ruined...i believe the 'shake flashlight' contains magnets. Which do no good when placed by a monitor. Why did you have the flash light so close to the monitor?
    i believe i am right, about it being ruined.
    Also i dont think the flashlight company would take responsibity for the damage.
    Dan

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Magnets and CRT's don't go together. Have you tried degaussing the monitor?

4. wacor

wacor Banned

I am confused and curious so if nothing else want to follow this to see how a flashlight could do this to a monitor. Is there something magnetic in it?? Have you tried to refresh the settings? Reboot? Unplug and replug?

What type of monitor is this? LCD?

5. Battygurl

Battygurl Thread Starter

I didnt even know it was magnetic placed it there like not for long I was looking for stuff in my junk drawer..
    I dont plan on suing over a 6 year monitor but perhaps they should put a warning label on the package

6. Battygurl

Battygurl Thread Starter

What is degaussing?

7. Dan S

Dan S

Yeah they probably should put a magnetic warning on the flashlight, i figured out it had a magnet one day i was looking at it. Try to see how it works.

8. Battygurl

Battygurl Thread Starter

Ok some of its gone.. but some wont go away yet

9. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Physically unplug the monitor, then plug it back in and turn it on.

10. AlexTs

AlexTs

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You may have to find someone with a real degaussing coil if it's magnetized more than the build-in degaussing coil can handle. However, it's fixable, nothing is broken.

12. rhorne4

rhorne4

I have one of those flashlight's and the paper's that came with it were plain to say to keep away from computer's and monitors.Great thing those little instruction paper's.I am sure glad i read it because i actually bought mine to use around my computer before i found out they could not be used around pc's.

13. Battygurl

Battygurl Thread Starter

UPDATE: It did not do permanent damage thank goodness!! That colored look went away whew!

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Thanks for the feedback. :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/446839

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice