1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No beep at POST test.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fabiogump, Mar 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fabiogump

Fabiogump Thread Starter

I was in to process of putting a new HD in my computer, seemed like everything was fine. Just as I was about to partition it, the screen goes blank. I reset the computer and I don't even get a beep on the POST test. I cleared the CMOS(even took the battery out) and I still get nothing.

I don't get it, I can't see the Bobo working fine one second then dead the next.

Abit K7-100 mobo
    650 Athlon Slot A processor
    256 RAM
    32 MB Nvidia video card

2. Sponsor

3. n2gun

n2gun

have you checked to see if the fan on the cpu is running? It sounds like something may have come unplugged and there may be a heat problem. If the fan is unplugged on the cpu it is possible it got fried.

4. Fabiogump

Fabiogump Thread Starter

CPU fas are running fine.

get this..
    I just started it up again and it cleared the POST test and started going through startup, I get a "CMOS checksum error-loading defaults". I figure this is because I took the battery out. I let it continue maybe to see where things when wrong.

It starts to load up and I get a boot disk error becuse the HD isn't partioned yet. I put my 98 startup disk in, it loads and right before I expect to see the 98 install questions, it shuts down and I'm right back to square one.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Reseat the ram chip(s).

6. Fabiogump

Fabiogump Thread Starter

pulled the ram chips out, they looks fine. put them back in, cleared the CMOS again. nothing.

7. ~Candy~

Access bios setup and save changes coming out.

8. Fabiogump

Fabiogump Thread Starter

It would be nice to be able to do that but right now I can't. Starting to look like the last post I made was a freak thing.

9. ~Candy~

So where are we at right now?

10. Yankee Rose

Yankee Rose

I've had this happen.

If you can, remove the mobo from the case as it may be shorting out within the case itself. See if you can get it to POST on a wooden table, or completely reseat the mobo itself within the case. Sounds crazy - but it worked for me once. Good luck. :)

11. Fabiogump

Fabiogump Thread Starter

You know for the longest time Yankee I thought that was the stupidest thing I've heard, but it looks like I'm eating crow now. I just put a new CPU in and the same thing happened. I stared probing around the case and wouldn't you know I started hearing a small clicking noise coming undernieth the Mobo. Looks like I've got a transistor or a capasitor shorting out. DOH!

12. WarC

WarC

Check powersupply if the clicking turns out not to be a short. They can cause restarts like this. From your other thread I understand that you just bought this off of Ebay, so basically every component in the system is suspect at this point.

13. Fabiogump

Fabiogump Thread Starter

The clicking is definetly coming from the Mobo. It was still doing it after I disconnected the Power supply. Just to clarify I only bought the New CPU and the Mobo(note;2 yrs ago) off ebay. The rest came from various other places.

14. ~Candy~

Clicking sound from motherboard with power supply disconnected??? :eek:

Take out the cmos battery just for kicks and see if anything clicks.

15. Fabiogump

Fabiogump Thread Starter

I pulled out the motherboard and inpected it for damage/burn marks. Looks like a lot of the Capasitors on it are corroded. there's even a small trail running down half the board. I'll post a few pics later but I got a feeling it's toast.

So who's making decent mobo's lately?

16. ~Candy~

Just about everybody :D

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/209668

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice