1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No beep, no video

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rtuley1, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rtuley1

rtuley1 Thread Starter

Greetings, I was recently given an Emachines T2482 desktop and told that the owner could not get past the password. He claimed to have never put a password on it, so I said I'd take a look. I tried to power the unit up and was greeted with a weak sounding power supply and a blank screen. I immediately powered down and opened it up. I was amazed at the filth I found. It was so bad, I took pictures. "Dust bunnys" the size of Volkswagons and the processor heat sink was packed solid with dirt and animal hair. The topsides of the PCI cards were solid dirt.I took the unit outside and dismantled it down to the case and gave it a thorough cleaning. I reassembled it and found that the dirt must have been the only thing holding the power supply together since it no longer worked. I replaced it and tried again. When I power up it all seams fine at first - power supply starts, short wait, then a familiar click at the front panel and then the HDD chatters away for about 30-40 seconds, all sounding normal. What IS missing is the post beep and the video. I've tried the on board video, and AGP card and a PCI video card and can still not get any video. The caps that are near the port side of the processor (video) seem to be fine - no bulging tops or leaking. I've tried different memory, different video card, different processor, all to no avail. This unit is running some type of AMD processor on an AM37 mobo. Does anyone have any ideas? If so they are greatly appreciated. Thank you all. Regards

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

If the PC has a floppy drive, check to see if the activity LED is turned on solid. If it is, the floppy drive cable is probably plugged in upside down.

3. Ziggy587

Ziggy587

Maybe its a bad CPU? The only two times I've turned a computer on and got a black screen with no beeps whats a bad or undetectable CPU.

4. rtuley1

rtuley1 Thread Starter

This must be a proprietary floppy since it is physically impossible to plug anything into it upside down.

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Must be proprietary. Since most floppy drives, and the cables made for them, do allow plugging the cable in upside down. Anyway, I am glad that is not the problem.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699810

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice