No beep when powered up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Eve

The computer will not boot up and does not beep at all. When the power is turned on I can hear the fan and the lights on the front of the computer will come on. The cpu fan works to. I can hear the cd-rom and the floppy drive trying to pick up the cd or floppy and then quits the hard drive will do nothing. The computer was running windows 98 other than that I know nothing else about this computer. Can this computer be fixed or am I wasting my time with it. Thanks for any help you can give.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I guess I would start by opening it up.....recheck the cpu and ram to be sure they are secure.......all of the other connections as well...including the video card....

If that fails, I would disconnect everything that is not needed....hard drive, floppy drive, cdrom.......etc.....get to the basics and see if you can't at least get a beep.

Also if you have more than one stick of memory try just one stick. If won't boot try the others one at a time.

Eve

Ok I unhooked the hard drive ,the cd-rom, the floppy drive, sound card and one stick of memory. I reset the cpu and the video card.
Still no beep and nothing on the monitor.

Eve

I tried the other stick of memory and still nothing.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hmmm.....the next thing I would try is to short the jumper on the motherboard for the cmos settings........disconnect the power supply first.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
You'll need to find the manual for the motherboard......there is a little jumper similar to the jumpers you will find on the hard drives and cdroms to designate master/slave settings.....you will change the position and wait for a minute or so, then put it back and attach the power supply and restart the computer.

Eve

I found a manual on this motherboard and shorted the jumper and still nothing. This is a Premio 212B motherboard if this helps any. Do you think the motherboard is dead?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
It's either a motherboard issue, power supply issue, or a cpu issue......the last thing I would recommend is to take the motherboard out of the case and hook up the bare minimums...there is a possibility that it is shorting out against the case.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts