1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NO BIOS blank screen laptop help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Castletyphoon, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Castletyphoon

Castletyphoon Thread Starter

hey guys

i have an inspiron 1150 laptop and overnight it will not boot up. when i power it up it brings up a blank screen and the fan comes on for about 20 seconds and it turns off again. weird!

i have read through many threads on the net but to no avail. i have removed memory, HDD and makes no difference?

Please can someone advise?

thanks!

2. playtom

playtom

Same thing happened to me on my desktop and after much tweaking it's still dead. The screen is blank when i press the power up button and only the fans would start and stop occasionally and sometimes it just runs forever. No BIOS or any visual/audio coming from the PC also.

This is perhaps the only mystery problem that no one is able to do an accurate diagnosis on. Some people told me it's the CPU/motherboard, while others told me it's the PSU. There is a lot of these threads on the internet, and most of them are still unsolved even if the person replaced the PSU or CPU. Try searching for "fan keep spinning pc can't boot" and "pc doesn't boot" to see similar topics such as this but i should warn you that the solutions posted by others will always involve replacement parts and usually a fix to no avail.

Anyways, if you're serious about this, reseat everything (taking it out and putting back in) that you could possibly do on your PC components without damage to yourself or the computer. Check for missing pins or wire and be aware of burn marks or smells. I've been trying to fix my PC through various advice people have given me and it's still broken, but i hope yours won't suffer the same fate. Good luck.

3. jazz3000

jazz3000

Check into your PSU. More than like it's not working anymore. Jazz

4. jasondotto

jasondotto

good point from jazz3000, also id try plugging in a monitor to the vga
    port, to see if theres any video at all

5. playtom

playtom

Just a note, i think in a lot of these cases it's the motherboard that's malfunctioning. The power supply on my computer seems fine and i've tested using multiple wires of same type that's going to an identical connection and it made no change to my computer, for the better or worse. I've also unplugged the HD, DVDRW drive, RAM modules and media reader from the motherboard leaving only the integrated graphics, CPU and PSU connected but it still exhibits the same symptom. The key to fixing these problems is to unplug everything and seeing if reseating them makes any difference. If not, then the parts left un-touched are usually the culprit, which in most case would be the motherboard.

One of my friends recommended me to go on eBay and getting a working motherboard to replace my existing one. It doesn't seem like i'll have the effort to go through all that trouble bargaining and then assembling but you could definitely try it if the price isn't ridiculously high in comparison to your PC's total worth. If that still doesn't work, you can always sell your laptop for spare parts or keep it for later use in case you decide to build a new one yourself.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/806408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice