1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No BIOS display After Installing gfx Driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cougar10, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cougar10

Cougar10 Thread Starter

Regards all,

I've recently built a PC for a friend. Probably my 20th rig, so no problem is a surprise anymore.

However this one's a melon scratcher. I inserted the Raedon 4580 and downloaded and installed the latest drivers from ATI's website. No problems or errors occurred. I went to reboot only to be greeted with a blank screen. Not even the BIOS will display anymore.

I'm very confused as to how installing a graphics driver on windows would have anything to do with the BIOS. The monitor will receive a signal from both the integrated and the pci-e video cards but it's display is similar to that of when the PC is in standby (orange light). I have no way to reconfiguring without display, so either the mobo or BIOS must be corrupt? That's what brings me here.

Here's what I've tried:
    • Replacing cables, monitors
    • Replaced new card with known working card
    • Removed the new card and attached vga to integrated.
    • Reset the BIOS via removing power and battery, adjusting mobo pins.
      I've tried every possible input (vga, dvi, hdmi) from 2 different monitors on both the integrated and the pci-e video cards only to receive a blank screen.

Specs:
    ASUS M4 series
    Phenom II x4
    8GB RAM
    1TB HDD
    Windows 7 x64

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm completely stumped and would appreciate any help/advice.

Thank you,
    Cougar10

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Do you have any indications that the system is actually running, aside from some fans turning, or optical drives opening and closing? You do not mention the make and model Power Supply. Manufacturer and model number Graphics card would be helpful as well.

3. Cougar10

Cougar10 Thread Starter

I plan on running a audio test tomorrow when I visit him again to see if Windows is booting. But from what I can tell, HDD activity light is active and everything else appears to be running when I observe the open case.

PSU: 480W (came with a LOGISYS case combo)
    Motherboard: ASUS M4A785-M
    Graphics card: Radeon HD 4650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Thank you for your assistance.
    Cougar10

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are correct in that the drivers have no effect on the bios; the video driver does not load until windows loads.

Since you have already tried clearing cmos or RTC as asus calls it and attempted to use the onboard video, I would think some hardware was damaged during the install. Another possibility is that the pw supply was over taxed when you installed the video card. I checked the specs on the logisys 480W pw supply and that is a junk pw supply. They are selling for all of $17 on newegg.

That video card uses a reasonable amount of pw and your pw supply only supplies 16amp on a single 12V rail. That is well below the min requirements of a quad core and the video card you installed.

The only real way to troubleshoot is to swap in known good parts however if I has to choose, I would say the pw supply just could not handle the increased load and failed.

Here is a link to the pw supply; as you can see it is a very low quality unit.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817170018

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other thing to remember regarding pw supplies. A wattage rating means next to nothing. It is the amp rating on the 12V rail that is important. As an example, your pw supply puts out all of 16amp on a single rail [and that is generous I doubt it even puts out that much] With a quad core cpu and the video card you installed, I would like to see a min of 35amp on the 12V rail. Any less and you are asking for a problem.

To test, I would swap in a known good pw supply of at least reasonable quality. This will tell you very quickly if the pw supply is the problem or perhaps a mb or other problem.

6. Cougar10

Cougar10 Thread Starter

Thank you for the prompt and thorough response, crjdriver.

The information you provided is very valuable. Indeed, upon review of the power supply.. it simply cannot handle a system of his caliber. I should have realized this from the beginning, however now I know.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe I shorted out the mobo when installing the gfx card. I have done this before when inadvertently over-tightening the screws. However, I agree it is very likely to be a PSU problem. I need to order him a new one anyway, so when I get that installed I'll report back with details.

Thanks again and best regards,
    Cougar10

7. Cougar10

Cougar10 Thread Starter

Good morning everyone.

After replacing the old power supply with a new one, the problem still persists.

I removed the video and sound cards to ensure only the bare essentials were drawing power from the MoBo. Still, when I start the PC, a signal is sent but there is absolutely no output. I don't see a BIOS or here any beeps.

So does anyone have any thoughts? I thought a bad PSU might be the case, however it's not. Now I'm left to believe perhaps the processor died, or maybe the BIOS is corrupt?

I appreciate the help.

Cougar10

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Processors rarely fail, motherboards are more likely to fail. Have you tried to take everything out of the case and trying a basic setup outside the case? ie. only the motherboard, PSU ,CPU, and one stick of RAM? You can swap the single stick of RAM with the spare or try another memory slot, you could also try reseating the CPU.

9. Cougar10

Cougar10 Thread Starter

Yes I've tried booting the bare essentials along with a known working stick of RAM, only to produce the same result.

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

When you "stress" a power supply it is not unusual for the power supply to over volt and damage the board, and/or other components.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920306

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice