1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No BIOS splash screen (or boot)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sandprickle, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandprickle

sandprickle Thread Starter

Hey

My grandma has a Dell Inspiron 1545 (I think).

When one tries to power it on, the power light comes on for several seconds, and then goes off. Things start spinning up in the first couple seconds after the power button is pressed. The screen is completely blank the whole time. It seems like it must be a power issue, but she thinks that the battery should have lasted from when the power supply tanked to when she found the computer powered off. What could be wrong? (Hope this is intelligible; I'm rather tired.)

Thanks,

B

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    This is a laptop isn't it?
    Have you tried powering it up on the mains but with the battery removed?
    If the powersupply has died then it is possible that it killed the battery in the process, so the theory of the battery taking over won't necessarily be the case.

3. sandprickle

sandprickle Thread Starter

Yeah it's a laptop. I tried without the battery and the results seemed to be the same. I payed close attention this time though. The hard drive spins until the computer shuts off. the fan and CD drive spin up right after I power on, and then stop (or slow down).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!