1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No boot after changing cpu

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jfw06013, Aug 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jfw06013

jfw06013 Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimension 4600.
    I first upgraded it with a 2 Tb hard drive using a board converts IDE to SATA that connects into the hard drive.
    I discovered later that the motherboard has 2 SATA connectors on the motherboard (first time I ever saw IDE and SATA on the same motherboard) but I'm ignoring that for now.
    No problems with that.
    Then I upgraded the memory from 2 GB PC2700 ram to 4GB PC3200 Dell ram.
    No problems with that.
    I upgraded the BIOS from version 7 to version 12.
    All well and good.

I saw that it might be possible to upgrade my cpu to a Pentium 4 HT 3.4 although I knew that it would only work on the newer Dell Dimension 4600 motherboards.
    I had a Intel Pentium 4 HT @ 2.8 GHz in it and it worked fine.
    Now I put the Pentium 4 HT 3.4 in it and it did not work.
    So I replaced the old cpu and now nothing works.
    No video, no beeps.
    I tried all the usual diagnostic tech , remove ram, daughter boards, hard and dvd/cd drives.
    No change except the cpu started to get really hot and there is no thermal paste in the cpu socket.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Dell Dimension 4600 desktop appears to have been released in 2003 and appears to have been manufactured with 3 model motherboards.
    Depending on which model motherboard yours came with determines the fastest Intel Pentium 4 HT processor it supports.
    You didn't provide the Dell-branded model of its motherboard, so we don't know if it supports the Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.40 GHz processor.

Are you saying you didn't clean the processor and apply new thermal paste before installing it?

Does the motherboard have the most current BIOS update installed?

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. jfw06013

jfw06013 Thread Starter

I updated the bios before I did anything (from version 7.xx to 12.xx from Dells support website).
    The motherboard supports the 2.8x GHz processor as it was the one that was working before the swap.
    I cleaned the processor and applied new paste (Noctua NT-HT1) on both the processors before using them.
    The 3.4x GHz did not work so I put the (original) 2.8x GHz back in and now that did not work either.:cry:
    At this point I don't care about the newer cpu, I just want to get it running again.
    Please tell me where to find my revision of the motherboard (it's got to be on a sticker somewhere, just don't know where to look).
    I'm waiting for a new psu from EVGA (500W) which I ordered before switching the cpu's but have not received it yet.
    The psu should work but maybe it died when I switch the processors but I don't think so.:unsure:

4. jfw06013

jfw06013 Thread Starter

I found the problem:)(y)
    The processor was not fully seated:eek:!
    I found the version of my motherboard which is A01.
    So now my Dell Dimension 4600 has a Pentium 4 HT 3.4 GHz processor, 4 GB PC 3200 ram, 2 TB hard drive and a DVD drive.

Now when I get that psu I'll switch every drive over to SATA and get that AMD 1 GB video card.
    Then I'm going to get a Intel cpu cooler as the stock Dell are terrible.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm glad you discovered what the problem was, and it was a simple fix.
    And I'm also glad you didn't overheat and fry the processor.

According to the performance scores of both processors, it looks like the 3.40 GHz one is about 22% better.

Clipboard.jpg

:) (y)

----------------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice