1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no boot after memory slight overclock

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by galkim, Oct 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. galkim

galkim Thread Starter

I just finished putting together my new pc:
    motherboard - ASUS prime B450M-a/CSM
    Memory - corsair vengeance lpx 3000Mhz 2x8GB DDR4
    CPU - Ryzne 5 2600x

the default memory Mhz setting is @2133Mhz. I tired to boost it up to 3000mhz in two ways in the Asus bios "AI tweaker" menu:
    1- By directly changing the memory frequency from "auto" to "DDR4-3000Mhz"
    2- By choosing "D.O.C.P" as the profile then it changes the frequency to 3000Mhz

both ways ended up in a safe mode boot because the system would not post

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Check on one of the Ram sticks for the required Voltage, it could be 1.35 Volts and if so check it in the Bios and if necessary set it to that.

3. galkim

galkim Thread Starter

the ram voltage after choosing D.O.C.P is 1.35.
    still doesn't post....

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

There are two bios updates that address compatibility and performance. Are you running the latest bios?

I was just checking the specs on that motherboard and [sorry to inform you] it is not a high end motherboard. Asus makes some fine motherboards ie the ROG series however yours is not one of them.
    That is an $80 motherboard on newegg and as such, you are not going to get much [if any] overclock out of that board.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just as an example, I run the exact same memory on a x370 ROG board with a ryzen 1700X. Processor is overclocked to 3.9gig and the ram is running @3100 [slight baseclock overclock along with cpu multi overclock]

6. galkim

galkim Thread Starter

ok that's true- the motherboard isnt high quality, but still, I should be able to use the motherboard's posted memory frequency, with a memory that's in the QVL , right?

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  8. galkim

galkim Thread Starter

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am not a fan of the "Auto" overclock settings. IMO all overclocking should be done manually in the bios ie you set the ram speed, ram voltage, ram timings.
    If making all settings manually does not work, you may have to accept the fact your board cannot run the ram at anything faster than native spd.
    The timings on your ram should be 15-17-17-35 however check the sticker on the ram or the labeling on the package. You can loosen them to something like 17-20-20-40 and see if it will boot @3000 spd. You can also up the voltage slightly from 1.35V to 1.37V or so and see if that helps.
    Read your motherboard manual for the exact location of these settings. Each bios [and sometimes each bios revision] has different menus/options so giving you exact instructions as to where to find these options is impossible.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218429

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice