1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No boot: attempt to repair, or retrieve data/reformat?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by karrank%, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. karrank%

karrank% Thread Starter

Apologies if this is in the wrong area, or been covered elsewhere/already.

Dualbooting Ubuntu Lucid and W7 on a home-built box with a WD 500GB SATA HDD. Well, except today, no boot. Have connected the HDD to my spare box to retrieve the ext3 files from the Ubuntu partition, mostly some flac, mp3s, and pngs and jpgs, without success.

Firstly, how can I access those files? My spare box is also running Lucid. Seems that this would be easier, idk.

Secondly, should I attempt to repair? Or is a clean reinstall/reformat/repartition a better alternative?

Thanks for looking.

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

When trying to retrieve the files from the hard drive what stopped you, can you read the drive when it is hooked up to the other PC?

I would suggest you run a test on the drive with a boot CD, as follows:

Open Internet Explorer and click on this: Seatools

Save the download to your desktop.

In Windows 7 right click the ISO file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts.
    For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. ImgBurn Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to Write image file to disc and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the ISO file on your desktop. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.

You will need a blank recordable CD or a re-recordable CD. You cannot use this software on a USB flash drive.

When the CD has been burned boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into DOS. Click on Basic Tests and select the Long Test.

A full set of instructions can be found here: Seatools instructions

When the test completes it will show a Pass or Fail.

3. karrank%

karrank% Thread Starter

Thank you Mark, I can see the drive but not all of its contents, specifically my music and photo folders. I tried the basic disk utility functions in Ubuntu with all passes, but that didn't really solve anything. Will attempt your solution when I return this evening, thanks again.

4. karrank%

karrank% Thread Starter

Additionally, the HDD in question has been emitting seek sounds quite a bit more often, and weird system hangs have been occurring somewhat more frequently lately than I would otherwise have expected, so possibly I'm staring down a HDD failure.

5. Mark1956

Mark1956

It does sound like the hard drive is failing, lets see what the test tells us.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice