1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"No boot device available" (Just installed new hard drive)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kristeena7, Sep 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kristeena7

kristeena7 Thread Starter

I just tried to switch hard drives between my EMachine T6528 to my Dell Dimension 8400. I thought I did it correctly, but it is giving me the message "No Boot Device Available". Can you direct me in what to do?
    Thanks,
    Kristeena7

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure that the device to which you are trying to boot (the optical drive?) is recognized by the BIOS as bootable and enabled and is in the boot order list.

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    If the hard drive has an operating system configured on the previous computer, you can not simply move the hard drive and expect it boot up.

Is it a data drive?

Looking further, the eMachine has an IDE drive and the Dimension 8400 has two SATA drives set up in RAID 0 configuration. Is that what you have?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  4. kristeena7

Wow, ya...I knew something was up. I actually just realized that I haven't even done the actual switch yet. (Don't ask...I have not done this in years!) So I am back to square 1, and I am not sure how to even remove the hard drive from the dell. It is running really slow, like 10-20 minutes to even be able to start to click on things. Also, I have to manually start the DCHP Client if I want to go on-line. So that is why I am going to try to put in the hard drive from my old E-Machine which has all of my I-Tunes stored in (haven't had access to them in 5 years) and pics from back in the day. If this works, I wouldn't mind even keeping the unit for a back-up if I could somehow get a dvd burner in there. (The circuit board crapped the bed in the E-Machine). So that is the story. Any advice? Is this even do-able?
    (I do believe it is running both SATA and PATA...in the BIOS I think it lists more SATA, and last I checked it told me drive 4 is not found which is the only PATA listed I think....if you need that info I will double check). Please help!!! Thank you!!!!

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So ...., you haven't yet installed a new (or different) hard drive?

And your current issue is how to physically remove the hard drive from the Dell???

6. kristeena7

Yes. I am at square 1. I am trying to figure out how to remove the current hard drive from the dell. It is attached differently than the "E". It seems like there is no way I can remove it. The screws are more like round shaped than Phillips, which I don't think I can remove. I do have a whole computer tool kit from a course I took in college 2 years ago. I am not going to waste my time though if I would not be able to run the "E-Machine" hard drive on the dell. I am not good at the trouble-shooting, but am very good at following exact instructions with my special computer tool-kit.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Dell Dimension 8400 Desktop

Click Manuals to expand its list.

Click the "PDF" link next to Dimension 8400 Owner's Manual.

If you have Adobe Reader or some other PDF reader installed, the manual will load and allow you to view it.

Click Removing and Installing Parts to expand its list.

Click Hard Drive.

Start reading on page 91.

eMachines T6528 Desktop

Scroll down to and click User Manual.

Download and save the user manual.

It's in .ZIP format, so extract its contents so the .PDF file can appear.

Open the PDF file with Adobe Reader or whatever PDF reader you're using.

Click Adding and Replacing Components.

Click Adding Or Replacing A Hard Drive.

Start reading page 163.

------------------------------------------------------------

I've done the searching and leg work for you.

Now it's up to you to remove/add the hard drive and install the operating system.

Good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  8. kristeena7

I just took it out, and I am noticing that the notches on the top are a different style of "plugs". Is this even possible? I have followed your instructions, but I am stuck.

9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Yes. Your eMachine uses flat gray ribbon cables because it is an IDE hard drive.
    Your Dell uses round red cables with black connectors because it has 2 SATA drives.

Unless the Dell has an IDE port on the motherboard, you can't use that drive from the e in the Dell.

10. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you look at the data cables connected to the rear of those hard drives, you can tell right away if they're IDE or SATA.
    A IDE hard drive has a wide flexible ribbon(usually gray) cable.
    A SATA hard drive has a stiff narrow(usually red) cable.

Capture.JPG

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1156614

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice