1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no boot device available sata 0: installed sata 1: installed sata 2: none sata 3: non

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ny941932, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ny941932

ny941932 Thread Starter

Please help.
    I've been getting this message for about a month. However, after rebooting sometimes once, sometimes several times the computer eventually boots up. After reading multiple posts on similar issues, I went and got a new hard drive. I backed up all the files and was going to reinstall evertyhing from scratch onto this new hard drive. I took the old one out and put in the new one. I get the same message when it tries to boot.
    At this point I swapped the drives again (the old one is back in).
    I am at a loss.
    Am I doing something wrong when I'm installing the new drive? Why am I getting the same message with this new drive?
    System specs:
    Inspiron 531
    Vista
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+ 2.81 GHz
    2GB RAM

Thank you.

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

With the new drive installed .. Are you trying to boot from the recovery DVDs ???
    The new drive should be the only drive installed when you're attempting a recovery

3. ny941932

ny941932 Thread Starter

all i did was pop in the new drive and turn on the computer. i thought i would then be able to put in a windows operating system installation CD.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

You have to install an operating system on the New HDD ..
    It's currently Blank .. (no system to boot from)
    Normally, This is done with a Windows CD or the Dell recovery DVDs

Put in the Dell recovery DVDs .. Then turn on the computer

5. ny941932

ny941932 Thread Starter

I understand, as far as installing Windows from a CD in order to boot.

I'm still unsure whether to go through all this. Do you think my current hard drive is going bad based on the booting problems I've been having?

P.S. I have an identical computer that is absolutely fine: boots up normally.

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

It's hard to tell without testing the old HDD .. And reloading a fresh copy of Windows on it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/962890

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice