1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No boot device found... Help please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lobotski, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lobotski

lobotski Thread Starter

Hi, my computer recently failed to start, I tried to system restore and that also failed, so I decided to run my install disk so as I could enter the command prompt and clean and partition my hard drive using diskpart... The computer allowed me to do this, which is why I don't think my hardrive is dead, but since exiting command prompt and restarting computer, I'm now just getting black screen that says no boot device found, please insert bootable disc and press any key to continue... Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can resolve this please... And if so bear in mind I'm not very tech savvy so need it in dummies terms please lol

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

In order to help you, you need to post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact mb, exact cpu, exact pw supply, etc, etc. If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact make and model# If you have a service tag, post that as well.

It does sound like your hd has failed or possibly a failed cable, loose pw connector, etc. You can test the drive with the drive mfg's diagnostic. You download this from whomever mfg the drive. Since your system will not boot from the hd, you need the dos or boot version [it runs from bootable media]

3. brispuss

brispuss

Additional details would be useful.

Ensure power and data cables to/from the hard/optical drives and motherboard are properly inserted.

As a precaution, you could check in BIOS that the boot sequence is optical drive first, then the hard drive next. To gain access to BIOS menu, press either F8, or F2, or DEL key (key to be pressed depends on BIOS version; check your motherboard manual for details). Make changes to boot sequence if necessary, save and exit. Reboot.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the situation, when the drive was "cleaned", did this mean the drive (boot partition) data was wiped or reformatted? If so, the operating system may have been deleted, and that's why there may be boot issues. In this case the operating system will have to be reinstalled in the boot partition of the drive via the operating system installation disk. Install operating system optical disk in optical drive. Reboot. Follow on screen prompts to reinstall operating system in the boot partition of the hard drive.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

In post #1 you stated you used diskpart to clean/partition your hd. Exactly what did you do? If you used the "clean" cmd from diskpart, that removes all partitioning info ie the disk is now blank and as such, of course it will not boot.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1138052

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice