No boot device in Dell Optiplex GX100... in Uganda!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Zdy

Hi
I am wondering if anyone can help me. I am in Uganda where I work as a volunteer and I am helping someone with their computer that was donated to them. It is an old Dell Optiplex GX100.

When we turn it on it says " No boot device available - strike F1 to rety boot, F2 for setup utility."

I can get into BIOS and for all the Primary and Secondary drives it just says "off".

There are not computer support services availalble nearby because we are in the middle of Uganda and there are no installation/boot disks available (although I could possibly download through email if needed)

Anyone able to give help from a distance?

Thanks

Zdy

dai

set them to auto detect the drives in the bios

check the data[wide cable] is plugged in securely at the drive and the m/board

Zdy

set them to auto detect the drives in the bios

check the data[wide cable] is plugged in securely at the drive and the m/board
Thanks so much, I have done that. The cable made no difference but I set Primary Drives 1 and 2 to auto and it now gets into the windows log in screen.

However...
It is taking FOREVER to load. It first shows the MSdos screen where it says "Primary Drive 1 not found" then it goes through a black screen with white dots at the bottom (like a loading screen). Then it starts windows but after a while it goes to a black screen with just the mouse pointer for about 5-10 mins before the final windows log in screen shows. Then the mouse is not working!

What should I do next?

Thanks again

Zdy

Zdy

Hi Dai

Thanks! Sorry to sound stupid but how do I do that when the mouse isn't working?

No there are no disks.. these computers appear to have been donated several times.

Zdy

Zdy

Ok, have got as far as creating the CD but the Dell BIOS doesn't allow me an option to boot from CD. The only option it gives is "hard disc drive C"
hmm??

Zdy

No I don't think so. There is Diskette Drive A and Diskette Dribe B (both of which are disabled) and Zip floppy support.

dai

i don't know of any thing that will fit on a floppy

it may be old but i thought it was a 99 machine and expected it to have a cd drive in it

Zdy

It has a CD drive which I think was previously working... just not now!

dai

can you see the cd listed in the bios if not check the cables into it

try a new data cable

does the draw open and close

does the light on it flash for a few seconds when you start the computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online