1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No boot, no BIOS beep

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ccdand?, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ccdand?

ccdand? Thread Starter

First Name:
    Arhlene
    hi, one of our custom-built computers died (the power supply went & it took the mobo with it), so we bought a new one (WinFast K7S741GXMG). i put it in, powered up, and entered setup. as i started to change the date, it locked up. so i restarted it and now i get nothing. no screen, no beep. i took the memory out & put it back in but that didn't help. also, the power supply is brand new and so is the memory (Kingston 512MB DDR PC2100).

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

You'll need to do an out of case build:

Attached Files:

3. ccdand?

ccdand? Thread Starter

First Name:
    Arhlene
    ok, i tried it and the fan works but that's it. if my RAM is brand new, do you think it's the processor then?

another question for my own knowledge: if the motherboard was bad, would the fan not work? or is it possible for a motherboard to be defective but the power still functions?

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

Not necessarily.

So you got the fan, NO beep and no video?

Yes, a bad motherboard can do that. An incompatible or broken CPU can do it as well.

5. ccdand?

ccdand? Thread Starter

First Name:
    Arhlene
    right, no beep & no video.

so what do you think i should try next? the motherboard is new, so should i try a new processor?

if a cpu is broken, are there visual indicators? or does it just not work?

6. telegramsam

telegramsam

Visual indicators are bent/broken pins. But generally, it just doesn't work.

Since you have new ram and a new board with onboard video, the CPU would be my guess. Generally incompatible RAM will give you a series of 3 beeps. Broken/defective RAM can do what yours is doing. The fried power supply could have nuked it too.

Is the heat sink and fan attached? Is the fan plugged into the motherboard? Did you have a thermal pad on the heat sink or use thermal compound?

7. ccdand?

ccdand? Thread Starter

First Name:
    Arhlene
    yes, the heat sink and fan are attached and the fan is plugged into the motherboard. there is thermal compound on the heat sink.

why do you think the board worked on the initial power up and then froze during setup?

8. telegramsam

telegramsam

It's happened to me before. Why? I really have no idea, except for a theory that it was pretty well done for, and the heat it generated during that time finished it off.

One last thing: Do you have another machine that uses that same RAM speed that you can test the RAM with? That would be about the last thing I could think of. It COULD still be a bad board. Foxconn's aren't noted for their quality. (That's a re-labelled Foxconn)

Now the problem you have is finding another Socket A CPU. Here's a link to a place I usually get older tech gear: www.starmicro.net

9. ccdand?

ccdand? Thread Starter

First Name:
    Arhlene
    guess what? i tried it again and this time it started up. so again i went into setup and it locked up when i started to adjust the date & time.

10. telegramsam

telegramsam

Try it again and see if you can keep it running long enough to see hardware monitoring and get a CPU temp reading. Post that back if it will hang on long enough.

Don't adjust the date and time. See if you can skate around the BIOS without it going down.

Reset the CMOS one more time before you try it too.

11. ccdand?

ccdand? Thread Starter

First Name:
    Arhlene
    ok, i got to the pc health status screen and it said the cpu temp is 27 degrees celsius. but then it locked up again.

12. telegramsam

telegramsam

13. ccdand?

ccdand? Thread Starter

First Name:
    Arhlene
    yes, that's the RAM i bought.

14. ccdand?

ccdand? Thread Starter

First Name:
    Arhlene
    also, (i'm probably not supposed to be doing this ) the only time i can get it to boot for that little bit is if i take the heat sink off and put more thermal compound on the cpu.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ok, that is a socket A board. It is pretty easy to break the cpu die when you install a hsf. This is one reason I always recommend pulling the board for a socket A when installing a cpu / hsf.

First pull the board and remove the hsf. Give the cpu a very close inspection to see if you chipped / cracked the die [the exposed part that you put thermal compound on] If it looks OK, then reinstall the hsf with new Arctic Silver compound IAW the instructions on the AS site. In addition the hsf is easy to install backwards so make sure the recess in the hsf fits over the lip on the cpu socket.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542071

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice