No Boot Option

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sonny_guy

Hi!
I recently upgraded my System from P3 to P4, also added a new 120GB SATA Hard Drive which I kept as a Primary Master.I also attached my old 40GB IDE hard drive which is the secondary master. I had installed Windows XP Pro on the IDE HDD and now have installed the same O.S. on the new drive also. In my old system which also had two hard drives (both IDE drives) I used to get a boot option. But with the SATA + IDE combination the boot option has disappeared and it boots directly from the SATA Drive. How do I get the boot option back ? How do I boot from the IDE hard drive??
sonny guy.

You should be able to boot off of the ide using the BIOS and selecting that drive as your boot drive. Not sure which bios your running, but in mine I can select the drive to boot from. But it sounds like your more or less looking for a custom boot.ini file. You'll want something like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=8
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP - Primary Drive" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP - Secondary Drive" /fastdetect

Your boot.ini file is located @ C:\boot.ini

You can use the run menu and type notepad.exe c:\boot.ini

sonny_guy

Hi Bob!
I'm using ASRock 775 Dual - 915 GL motherboard. Please could you tell me how I can confirm if this motherboard will have an option to boot from both the drives.

Did you try the boot.ini method I mentioned above. By doing so, you'll get an option as to which OS you want to boot upon startup. It'll be better than going in and messing with the bios each time you want to change OS's. Just an idea.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online